Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By thegasguy
Yesterday was a good flying Saturday in the Southeast at last !
A 3 ship flyout to Denham went really well ( first time - really nice place, thank you all there ).
Something cropped up that may be an issue now we have all got shiny new radios that work really well.
This is the matter of air to air chat on 135.475.
I had the pleasure of knowing that Hatz was 'up someone's chuff ' at Nayland, as well as numerous other peoples chit chat all over Southern England at various times.
Not picking on you mate, I just recognise your voice from the "chufee's" videos!, (that I follow religiously and enjoy very much, plus his good form radio work usually)

This is just a gentle observation, not having a go at all.
Let's keep the channel ( or is it still frequency ? - I dunno know) for it's intended use, and some discipline in the vocab. Everything everyone says can be heard for miles and miles, clear as a bell ( unless in a certain Jabiru- private joke)

I've not had a problem with not being able to communicate my intentions yet, probably no one has as it's pretty boggy most places.
Let's keep it short and to the point with our expensive new megaphones !
2Donkeys, Shoestring Flyer, Lockhaven and 3 others liked this
By GolfHotel
Could we expect with all these new frequencies or channels now avalible at considerable cost that we will be allocated a chat channel?

I guess that would be too much to ask.
john-h, Temp liked this
By Cessna57
I trained at an airfield with safety com only.
It’s a good eye opener that RT isn’t always the same as if you’re in a 737 at LHR, but also made me remember it was other people at the other end. I like safetycom, but can’t wait to fly into Rougham with its swanky new frequency!

Having said which, I always say “G-XXXX departing nn” and was almost admonished by an FI once,
“You know you don’t HAVE to say that, you can say what you like here”.
By joe-fbs
Interesting test idea for someone with time and money to waste, attempt to rent use of a frequency from OFCOM with a DOC of the entire country and no associated ground station i.e. a chat frequency. It would be fascinating to hear OFCOM’s reply.
By Ben K
joe-fbs wrote:Interesting test idea for someone with time and money to waste, attempt to rent use of a frequency from OFCOM with a DOC of the entire country and no associated ground station i.e. a chat frequency. It would be fascinating to hear OFCOM’s reply.

Doesn't anyone use 123.45 anymore for that...?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I find that if I transmit:

' YYYY traffic , G-XXXX right hand downwind to land RWY 26, YYYY traffic' it shuts up the inane chatter for a while....

Peter :wink:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Flintstone
Poor RT is one of my pet peeves and while what the OP describes is bad enough you should hear 121.5 over Europe.

So-called professionals use it to broadcast music (from their phones, presumably), make stupid noises and play Marco Polo or somesuch moronic activity that involves one person saying a name and then half a dozen others (with a variety of accents) repeating it.
Wide-Body, Iceman liked this
By aerial
Now we have all of the new spare 8.33 channels shouldn't there be extra 'regionally allocated' - safetycom channels?

Something worth campaigning for perhaps?
Spooky liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Jonzarno wrote:
Dave Phillips wrote:I've go an old CB radio somewhere. :roll:

That’s a big 10 4 Good Buddy. The Rubber Duck is short final to land runway 23..... :clown:

That's terrible rt.

It should be "Convoy field traffic. That’s a big 10 4 Good Buddy. The Rubber Duck is short final to land runway 23. Convoy field."
Jonzarno liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
Pilots using Safety com 135.475 as a general chat frequency is becoming an increasing problem.
Also I now frequently hear it being used as an A/G frequency at some airfields which it of course should not be used for!
By Rob P
No marks to the guy I overheard on Friday referring to it as Unicom :evil:

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman liked this
By Flying_john
No marks to the guy I overheard on Friday referring to it as Unicom

Ooops that'll be me then !! - could never get my head round "safetycom", what makes it safe, but Unicom seems to be more appropriate as it is a self broadcast from "one"

but realise the EU could never adopt a USA idea.

:mrgreen: