Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
patowalker wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:Trim lever does look vulnerable to me. Note, comments based on the AAIB cockpit photo, not from sitting in a Eurostar.

Vulnerable to what? The AAIB photo shows empty seats, with people sitting in them, the lever does not protrude above thighs.

I could however, quite easily see an inexperienced passenger leaning on that trim lever as he adjusted his seating position.

You know, the "aching ****" (backside) problem after sitting for an hour, and before you know it, the trim is against one of the stops. Trim wheel would only move a quarter of a turn at most.

Just to add some detail to what I was suggesting, if an inexperienced passenger put his hands down just to lift his own body weight, to adjust his seating position, he could inadvertently push against the trim lever if that is what his hand touched first.

Trim lever does look vulnerable to me.

Note, comments based on the AAIB cockpit photo, not from sitting in a Eurostar.

or maybe I should re-word that as a question. If an inexperienced passenger put his hands down just to lift his own body weight, to adjust his seating position, could he inadvertently push against the trim lever if that is what his hand touched first?
or maybe I should re-word that as a question. If an inexperienced passenger put his hands down just to lift his own body weight, to adjust his seating position, could he inadvertently push against the trim lever if that is what his hand touched first?

Phrasing that differently, if such passengers are flown 1000 times, do you think that there's a risk of this happening, say, once?

G
That is of course often a problem with air accident investigations, particularly light aircraft accidents where the amount of "hard evidence" available is very limited.

The investigators often cannot in reality explain the accident - at best they can offer the least unlikely explanations.

However, what they can do, and have done here very well in my opinion, is offer recommendations that have a good potential to prevent future accidents, resulting from their investigations. In that regard, I think that this report does its job very well.

G
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I reckon the positioning and the type of that trim lever is absolutely lethal.

Apart from a passenger knocking it, resting on it to adjust some seating discomfort etc, there is also the possibility of a ladies heavy hand bag or other article being placed on it, falling onto it, or a bag handle/coat flap/camera strap etc hooking it,
[/img]
patowalker wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:However the bowden cable at tail can be hooked in such a way so that the outer cable comes out of its slot ,so effectively shortening the trim cable. This can happen when cleaning or when inspecting the tail plane during walk round.

That cannot happen in an airworthy EV97.

Today I took some pictures of "OUR" EV97 Trim Tab.
Clearly not touched for years.

Is this considered to be airworthy ?

As a point of interest this is a very big trim tab !
Genghis the Engineer wrote:

Phrasing that differently, if such passengers are flown 1000 times, do you think that there's a risk of this happening, say, once?

G

1000 different inexperience passengers?

IMO, highly possible based on photo alone. I'd even suggest potential exists with experienced passengers new to type. Trim wheel conversion would make sense, although I reserve the right to change my mind the day I sit in a EV97.