Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Duncan M wrote:We’re currently awaiting news from the CAA of the possibility of a fixed-duration trial to allow some GA pilots with EASA Part-FCL Licences to operate EASA aircraft, within the UK, with a UK self-declared medical. If this data-gathering trial can be implemented, those operating privileges are expected to align with the EASA LAPL. Watch this space!
(LAA mag p59 and also on LAA website)

This is a quote from LAA magazine Feb 18. This may be a solution if it can be approved.
Haven’t heard any more though.

What is the point of this “trial” when we already have donkey’s years of experience with what are effectively self declared medicals on NPPLs?
Is the risk of medical incapacitation suddenly increased because you have a full EASA license in your pocket?
Robin500, townleyc liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
Bathman wrote:You can't use an Annex 2 aircraft for training or hire.

Buy buy income !!

In the spirit of my op, can you support this statement with evidence? Before you answer think about microlights.
By Irv Lee
flybymike wrote:What is the point of this “trial”

I had assumed it was a diversion* allowing easa to say easa have given us what we wanted, ignoring the fact that what we really wanted was UK licences in UK airspace after April. Or... worst case... ssea gained after 8/4 to be convertible
Surely all efforts and focus should be on licences as the medical thing is not so urgent, as about 90% with a lapl now will have a lapl medical which is valid beyond April 8th so in no rush to step down - the trial doesn't include lapl issue.
*easa do have form on such diversions
Irv Lee wrote:What Sir Morely wants to know is what the current situation means if we get to April 8th and what official links prove it.

For those PPLs that know they have to convert their licence to fly the same aircraft (or they find out when they next try to book the same aircraft after the April date has gone), and there are no exemptions/extensions, it might mean there is a temporary lull in aircraft bookings waiting on the CAA to deal with a last minute rush to convert licences.

On the other hand it might (temporarily?) increase availability for those with an EASA licence. They might fly more often if it was a very busy club and difficult to get a mutually convenient slot. Or they might fly further or do trips with a stop over.

With online booking systems I am not sure how easy it is for owners/clubs to measure demand for aircraft if they are usually well booked up. i.e. how many others were interested in booking but the slots were already booked. Whereas with the traditional booking by phone or in person at the club they would know what the demand is.

It seems owners/clubs need to know a few key bits of information:
How many of their existing customers need to convert their licence? (it could be a small or large percentage).
What the real demand for aircraft is?
How big is the queue/backlog at the CAA to convert licences? (before/after April)
flybymike wrote:What is the point of this “trial” when we already have donkey’s years of experience with what are effectively self declared medicals on NPPLs?
Is the risk of medical incapacitation suddenly increased because you have a full EASA license in your pocket?

Probably find your BP is a fair bit higher if you have an EASA license - I know mine certainly is :roll:

Having AME aggro (they keep retiring whenever I find a new one) and a GP that isn’t interested in considering doing my LAPL medical, I’d certainly be keen to go self-cert
trapdoor wrote:Having AME aggro (they keep retiring whenever I find a new one) and a GP that isn’t interested in considering doing my LAPL medical, I’d certainly be keen to go self-cert

Me too! I have had real trouble trying to find anyone who would do a LAPL medical. I now have an appointment, but it is 2 months in the future and a month after my current mefical expires.

One of the AMEs that I spoke to said the the LAPL medical was "too much of a beuracratic nightmare" and so now only does class 1 or class 2 medicals.

I started trying to arrange this with 2 months to run on my existing medical, thinking that would be plenty of time, but I couldn't find anyone to do it, I tried 5 AMEs. Eventually I have got an appointment, but not before my current medical expires :(

Oh, and I am currently very healthy!

I can fly on self-cert on my old British license for a bit, but my LAPL medical appointment is now only a few days before 8th April. So if there are any problems or delays I will be grounded, just ahead of my first competition of the year - Not very happy :(
By flybymike
A lot of AMEs packed it in a couple of years ago following increased audit and associated hassle from the CAA. They just couldn’t be *rsed. (Mine was one of them)

GPs can’t be bothered with the hassle either, a point I’ve made before, but Nick Wilcock still suggests scrapping the new self dec and retaining GP involvement as the best way forward with EASA.
And everyone wonders why GA is dying on its feet? You have people like Steve, putting his money where his mouth is, working hard and probably making less return than he would selling dodgy insurance policies or overpriced coffee. The powers that be cannot give him six weeks notice of important regulatory changes to help him plan.........the system is not fit for purpose. And you get the country you deserve - owned (and bled dry) by foreigners where much of the population does menial work for minimum wage.
Irv Lee, Sir Morley Steven, Bathman and 2 others liked this
By Irv Lee
And not only him and clubs like his, individual pilots are having to guess whether spend (or not) significant amounts, but I keep hearing how Easa has changed, and I agree, for GA grass roots pilots, up to 2012, it did far far too much, and since, it hasn't done anything like enough!
Irv Lee wrote:@davef77 Seems odd that a lapl medical would be more bureaucratic that others to an ame. Perhaps a forum ame could explain.
Do you know if they are retiring through age, or something else?

Only one of them said that, I don't know why they thought that. The others were just too busy. Either way the system isn't working for me very well.

I looked into regaining my class 2, I had a medical problem 15 years ago. It is going to cost me nearly £2000 in investigations that I don't need for medical reasons, if I did need them for my health, they would be covered on the NHS or medical insurance of course - rock or hard place :(
Flyingfemme wrote:The powers that be cannot give him six weeks notice of important regulatory changes to help him plan.........the system is not fit for purpose..

Where did the six weeks notice come into this? (wondering if I have missed something).

This licensing mess was announced years ago when the EASA PPL and LAPL were introduced.
Around that time there were numerous forum threads on licence conversion and the differences depending on whether currently held a UK or JAA licence, plus consideration of ratings and medicals.

I converted my UK licence to an EASA licence in 2011 so I do not see it as six weeks notice, but at least six years notice.

It does not help Steve and others like him if some PPLs that need to convert keep putting it off either due to more important short term demands on their time when the deadline is years/months away (and simply forget about it), or just hoping for further extensions to the date. The PPLs that might have no knowledge of the change need contacting!

Perhaps the CAA could publish a summary of how many licence holders might be affected, and perhaps write to them by post (as not everyone does email).
Perhaps the clubs could contact their members to confirm licence status and intentions.
By Irv Lee
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:The powers that be cannot give him six weeks notice of important regulatory changes to help him plan.........the system is not fit for purpose..

Where did the six weeks notice come into this? (wondering if I have missed something).

Perhaps the CAA could publish a summary of how many licence holders might be affected, and perhaps write to them by post (as not everyone does email).
Perhaps the clubs could contact their members to confirm licence status and intentions.

I think the six weeks means six weeks to go as of now.
Caa is unlikely to have a full idea about who or how many, there will be nppls on old self declare medicals who don't realise there is a new medical system and their two yearly rating revals are not reported in, so are invisible. If they sent letters to ppl and Nppl holders,, many would be returned not known at this address, it was a big % when they tried sending out Clued-Up