Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Dave Phillips wrote:Frank 'suspects', that's nowhere near knowing. Forgive me for saying Leemoore, but you seem rather keen to jump down throats regarding EC.

Dave
This thread and the questions were about NEXRAD weather over UAT, what does that have to do with Electronic Conspicuity?

In fairness I would be quite happy having a midair with a fluffy cloud, not that I would fly in cloud of course.

Thx
Lee
leemoore1966 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:In general or in relation to the UAT trial.
:?:

My questions were geared towards post trial
The implementation and roll out

Thx
Lee

I have no information that I can share* but would have thought that serious players in this market would have thought about the implementation phase and cost as part of the trial set up.

Don't you?

Few people and businesses have the time/resources to play with this sort of stuff let alone the luxury to afford the reputational damage if it all comes to nothing.

*FTAOD1 - I cannot share as I don't have info, and should I have had info, I suspect I would be bound by an NDA.

FTAOD2 - I don't know nor have had any dealings with UAT, I am an SD customer but beyond TD being a mate of a mate I have had no dealings with him.

FTAOD3 - I think PAW is a great initiative, the main drawback being that it has yet another proprietary protocol; but that is another subject discussed ad nauseam on other threads so no need to have a rehash of that on here.
gaznav liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:would have thought that serious players in this market would have thought about the implementation phase and cost as part of the trial set up. Don't you?

I wouldn't have thought that would all have been hashed out at this stage. As I understand it, the two main players in the game are currently funding it out of their own pockets, with no clear way of going for a country wide roll out.

Cub, ex of this parish (and I hope he will return at some point), posed the question on here as to what people would be prepared to do to be able to receive these weather broadcasts, with one option having the cost of entry being a broadcast of ADS-B, which hints at NATS possibly funding this to encourage ADS-B take up.

But at the moment I would have thought that no one really knows and at the moment it really is a technology trial - it's not just the US proven broadcasts which are being tested but the end to end flow of data.
Lots more info at the following link: https://www.uavionix.com/news/uat-in-the-uk-part-ii/

Here is a linked picture to the 3000ft coverage from the 2 new sites:

Dunsfold and Wycombe Air Park are next according to the article.

Feedback to be sent via this link: https://www.uavionix.com/uatintheuk/

A big thank you to SkyDemon and Uavionix :thumleft:
Tim Dawson, 2Donkeys, Dave W and 2 others liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:FTAOD3 - I think PAW is a great initiative, the main drawback being that it has yet another proprietary protocol...

Hi Dutch
Where do you get the information that it is Proprietary ?
Do you really mean Prioprietary, or do you mean a Standard ?

Meaning of Proprietary from dictionary.com :-
1. belonging to a proprietor.
2. being a proprietor; holding property:
3. pertaining to property or ownership:
4. belonging or controlled as property.
5. (of a brand name, product, service, formula, etc.) protected by a patent, copyright, or trademark:
6. privately owned and operated for profit:

The Protocol is Open and documented here (could probably do with a revamp) :-
http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/up ... otocol.pdf

The Protocol is used under the OGN-R (Open Glider Network - Rebroadcast)

Additionally, a third party has written a decoder for PilotAware P3I here :-
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/blob ... ol_P3I.cpp

Thx
Lee
There you go Dutch. Never argue with someone armed with a dictionary.
leemoore1966, velostar, 2Donkeys and 2 others liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Tim Dawson wrote:There you go Dutch. Never argue with someone armed with a dictionary.

I know, you live and learn, I will try to be more pedantic in future postings.

:D

Hi Dutch
We may disagree on certain aspects, but I am sure we both have the best intentions in our opinions. I would defend your right to say what you think, and I hope you accord me the same

Thx
Lee
Flew again yesterday after finding a FIS-B Enable setting in the GTX345. Got a strong signal from the Goodwood transmitter - of course I picked a day with no weather around. Only later did i find the METAR On/Off selection in the GTN750 Map page so I don't know if that was working.

By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chrisparker wrote: Only later did i find the METAR On/Off selection in the GTN750 Map page so I don't know if that was working.

I'd be very interested to hear if you do get METARs to display on the GTN750. This is the one feature I am not currently having much luck with. The METARs are clearly being received by the 750, and I am able to display them on Garmin Pilot, but I can't get them to display on the 750.