Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hi all, I wanted to let the forum know that we have installed two more ground stations broadcasting UAT weather this week. We took a little time for some transmitter revisions before installing the next set. The two new sites are at Redhill and Goodwood. We have additional transmit license applications in for Dunsfold and Wycombe Air Park, and hope to see these get installed in March. Ultimately, we are aiming for a contiguous (with the exception of the one at the SkyDemon office) area of coverage to the west and east of London for the duration of the trial, with a total of 6-8 stations in an area that would allow generally for connectivity to 2 or more towers from any location in this region to have the overall best experience.

Likely next week we will make some PR about it with some coverage plots, but wanted to get the word out here in case anyone were to be flying this weekend.
Marvin, Tim Dawson, 2Donkeys and 10 others liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trials are naturally limited for all sorts of understandable reasons.

If the trial is successful (and as a simple SkyEcho sometime-user, it's looking good from my end) then no doubt there will be more outside the test areas when it becomes permanent.

They might even (who knows?) spread into mainland Europe if the case is made from a UK based test programme.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Someone will have to pay for it!

Well done Christian and everyone at uAvionix.
kanga, seanjd liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can I suggest that as this is an entirely new thread, that it might be worth reminding folk what they can receive - and what they need to be able to receive it.

I’d have a stab at it, but might not be 100% accurate, therefore better if one of the experts gave a brief summary?
I'll refrain from sharing costs as to not set up expectations incorrectly. Suffice to say that some things we do during a trial would need to be improved for a full "production" version. In addition to pure hardware costs, there are also costs for the data, for power and communications, for remote monitoring and sharing. Some of these aren't applicable for a trial, but depending on what future requirements exist, these will go up.
Products being broadcast are a weather radar mosaic, METARs and TAFs. You can use any UAT receiver that communicates via GDL90, and if you are using SkyDemon, that receiver will have to have a GPS in it. Other apps may not require the GPS. This includes products from uAvionix like SkyEcho or Scout (ForeFlight only), or other portable receivers like Appareo Stratus, iLevil, or Stratux. Installed avionics have been shown to work as well.