Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I thought I would share my first outing with SkyEcho in my D62b Rollason Condor G-AVOH - that has no transponder fitted, so this seemed to be the cheapest way to make it electronically conspicuous to an internationally recognised standard. Ordered through Amazon the SkyEcho cost £600 all in and was delivered very quickly.

Here is the SkyEcho on top of the instrument panel mounted with velcro. It runs on its own power (I had it on for over 3 hours and it was still going strong). It needs no leads and doesn’t have any bits or dongles ready to drop off into the bottom of my Condor or Supermunk. It is linked to SkyDemon on an iPad over wifi.

Here is a screen shot after the first few minutes of flight out of Hinton. You can see G-RATE, an AA-5A about to go into Coventry and a variety of commercial aircraft all on ADS-B.

After a while I thought I would have a look on the iPhone to see if I was tracking on FR24. I was and these 2 pictures show the SkyDemon and the FR24 screenshots.

I then went South to see if I could see any weather from the UATs - I didn’t see anything, but thinking about it, that’s not surprising as the weather was lovely! However, I thought I would continue South of Halton to have a look at the increased numbers of ADS- B traffic in the London TMA to see what it looked like on SkyDemon. You can also see what th traffic warning looks like on the SkyDemon (no conflict as traffic is green and 7400ft above!)

I also took the SkyEcho off of the front and put it on the parcel shelf. It works fine and is no longer extra clutter up front. It also helps Garfield with his look out!

Finally, I had to make an urgent modification to my flying gloves to use SkyDemon’s features on the iPad. I might call it the “Churchill Mod”!

Overall, I am VERY pleased with the SkyEcho and I would recommend it to anyone without a Mode-S ES transponder fitted. I really hope that dual transmission with Mode A and Mode S without ES is going to approved soon (how is the trial going?). I also look forward to Wycombe Air Park getting the UAT as that should get me coverage in the wilds of the Vale of Aylesbury.

Thank you Father Christmas, SkyDemon and Uavionix :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Best

Gaz
Tim Dawson, Nick, Dave Phillips and 5 others liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks Gaz, very informative.

I don’t particulatly like having all the targets displayed on my SkyDemon Navigation screen. I think it is just too cluttered.

I would much prefer having an entirely separate display, that just shows the Traffic “radar” screen. I would happily find an old smartphone or cheap tablet to use as this display.

Does anyone know of a solution which allows you to display the radar screen view (the same as the bottom RH corner of the SD display)?

If Tim were to provide an option to expand the radar view to full screen, it would work.
gaznav liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Lefty wrote:Does anyone know of a solution which allows you to display the radar screen view (the same as the bottom RH corner of the SD display)?

Several ways with PilotAware. Its own web page has a radar "screen" on it which you can display on another tablet/phone. Then there's the 3D Radar app which interfaces with it for another tablet/phone display option.

I also think the black/yellow on the Sky Demon screen is a bit too blend-in like. Maybe there could be an option on colours - Tim? Perhaps change the shading to purple or something.

Lefty, you know you can change the altitude bands of known traffic on Sky Demon so you get rid of all the airliners up in the stratosphere?
By Lefty
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Lefty wrote:Does anyone know of a solution which allows you to display the radar screen view (the same as the bottom RH corner of the SD display)?

Several ways with PilotAware. Its own web page has a radar "screen" on it which you can display on another tablet/phone. Then there's the 3D Radar app which interfaces with it for another tablet/phone display option.

I also think the black/yellow on the Sky Demon screen is a bit too blend-in like. Maybe there could be an option on colours - Tim? Perhaps change the shading to purple or something.

Lefty, you know you can change the altitude bands of known traffic on Sky Demon so you get rid of all the airliners up in the stratosphere?

Thanks Paul. However whilst (as you know) I am a big big supporter of SD, I really do prefer to be eyes out - not eyes down, looking at my iPad looking for Traffic info.

I would ideally like something IPhone or S6 sized, that I could mount on the coaming - where it is in my eyeline whilst I’m looking outside.