Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
I've had a wacky idea - tell me where the flaws are in it?

Okay, the UK will be leaving the EU. It seems highly likely that arrangements will be put in place that nonetheless keep the UK within EASA, but with some weakened arrangements. This last may or may not involve us being on the top ruling council (probably not), will almost certainly involve continued representation on various committees, and will almost certainly involve the CAA - as at present, acting as a competent and authorised agency for EASA, doing some stuff for EASA, and feeding some other stuff onto mainland Europe to be done there. What it almost certainly won't involve is the present legal mandate that all EU states MUST be compliant with EASA on anything outside of Annex II: if EASA's use is to be mandated that will either be through an an act of parliament or a lower legal piece of rulemaking by the CAA. Bar inevitably bickering, that's broadly where we'll be.

Now, an implication of that is that whilst we will be choosing to use EASA as our authority, it will be in Westminster & Gatwick's joint gift to say that we can use other mechanisms than EASA for either airworthiness or licencing. Clearly we already do to some extent - many of us have UK licences, and some of those go outside of Annex II (anybody with a full UK PPL or CPL for example), and there are aeroplanes of all sizes that are still in Annex II for sound reasons. But maintaining a domestic UK system has been a bit of a fiction as with minor tinkering it's just been the EASA system re-badged.

So far, so clear(ish). Now here's where my thinking is getting a bit radical - what if the UK was to negotiate alongside this an optional mechanism for convergence with the FAA. So, basically if somebody wants to operate their aircraft in the UK-FAA space, rather than UK-EASA, they have that privilege. I think that cherry picking between FAA and EASA systems for airworthiness is going to be unworkable, so you basically would have to make a transfer, but then with the CAA acting as an agent of the FAA. This would involve a fair bit of treaty-level paperwork, but the same technical skills at CAA as at present, and it shouldn't be all that hard to achieve. Existing licenced engineers and the like could presumably just be asked to sit a straightforward law exam to become double qualified.

I can't see any reason why we can't just allow both systems to award of pilots licences in the UK as well, and you can fly either system aeroplane on either system pilots licence. After all both are fully ICAO compliant licences, and at-least at PPL level it's just paperwork (and not much of that) to fly an N-reg on a British issued licence, and vice-versa.

What's the downside? The regulations will become even messier than they are already, and the question "is this aeroplane on FAA rules or EASA rules" will become a common one that we'd all get deeply irritated about, working out the matching for UK professional licence holders with EASAland qualifications who want to go and work in the USA, and vice-versa. Somebody would need to pay for an enlargement and re-skilling of the CAA.

What's the upside? - we can import aeroplanes from the USA much more readily (I quite fancy one of those tailwheel AA1s myself), and conversely the UK industry will have the ability to build aeroplanes for direct export to the USA with no recertification, but all the certification work done at home. New pilots could be trained to a double syllabus and effectively hold both FAA and EASA licences, which would be very good for the flight training industry. We can get FAA IRs ! We can use FAA DERs for mods, and qualify them at home creating an export market to the USA for British skills.

What would the big problems be that need to be solved? - mechanisms for dual qualification at every level, can we bring US experimental aeroplanes here? (I suspect that might be a step too far for many in authority - so convergence might need to be at the ICAO-compliant / CofA aeroplanes level only, at least initially).

I can see plenty of problems to be solved, but I'm not sure I see any profound show-stoppers here, beyond a massive question of political will? Anybody else? Am I talking rubbish (which is entirely possible, so please just say so politely).

There is a "risk" that after a few years the EASA system just loses out on the arms race and pretty much everything in the UK bar professional / manufacturing activities for export to Europe would be entirely now on the FAA system. I can't however really see anybody shedding tears over that (and bear in mind that Boeing do dual FAA/EASA certification already, so it's hardly a new thing).

G
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Haven't we got enough to be getting on with while we and the CAA deal with the constant change already in play, and more looming, without overloading ourselves even further?

It's bad enough already trying to explain to someone interested in learning to fly how many routes to being a licensed pilot there are currently, and this would just multiply it.

Mind you, if you had a question on the CFRs the man at the CAA could quickly look it up in one book, and give you the answer while you wait, with the reference as well for you to take away. Yeah right.
DBo liked this
By johnm
We aren’t the 51st state of the union as yet, thus your proposal doesn’t work.
By Flyin'Dutch'
G,

It was my impression that BASAwould be sorting this?

And would those want to be freed from the shackles of the ECJ really want to be held to account by the FAA/US political and justice system?

What influence do you think anything done in the UK have on the FAA/US system?
By johnm
That option already exists. Register an aircraft on N plate through a trust maintain to FAA standards, I can’t see what your proposal adds :scratch:
By Genghis the Engineer
A UK industry equipped to get approvals at home then export directly to the USA?

Ability to get DAR sign-offs on mods to G-reg aeroplanes?

As I said, I'm just throwing the idea out for discussion.

G
By James Chan
What I don’t understand is why the CAA, pre EASA days, did not align win the FAA, but ran its own archaic stuff instead.

Because of this, why would the CAA have the appetite to align with the FAA when it’s “free” from EASA?

Just wondering.
By tomshep
Genghis, Genghis. Do get a grip, old thing.
How the hell are we going to make aircraft for export to the USA at a quarter of what they pay for them, including shipping. Once the tariff is imposed, you'll have no chance.
Besides, they wouldn't buy our aircraft (unless they were Harriers for spares, that they miraculously got flying, again after picking them up for peanuts.) They make lots of their own, in feet and barleycorns and won't like our metric screws.
As for the extra probabilities of becoming mired in yet more impenetrable paperwork-no.
You cannot be serious.
Now put a sock in it and go flying instead. It will do you more good than this ever will.
By James Chan
Also this FAA aligned CAA, in my opinion - while there might be an advantage for aircraft certification and aircrew licensing, won’t solve a plethora of other political problems that impacts or adds costs to our flying, like legal issues, the infrastructure access/funding model, taxation, aerodrome access, GA engagement and representation, local community awareness and support, and airspace design and procedures.

The DfT needs to be on board.... and what have they really done in the last few decades to protect GA?
Last edited by James Chan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomshep wrote:Genghis, Genghis. Do get a grip, old thing.
How the hell are we going to make aircraft for export to the USA at a quarter of what they pay for them, including shipping. Once the tariff is imposed, you'll have no chance.
Besides, they wouldn't buy our aircraft (unless they were Harriers for spares, that they miraculously got flying, again after picking them up for peanuts.) They make lots of their own, in feet and barleycorns and won't like our metric screws.
As for the extra probabilities of becoming mired in yet more impenetrable paperwork-no.
You cannot be serious.
Now put a sock in it and go flying instead. It will do you more good than this ever will.

I shall go flying tomorrow - taking Mrs Engineer for a weekend on the coast by air, and the weather looks stunning for it.

But no harm in the odd thought experiment.

G
Ben K liked this
By kanga
to add to the mischief: how about equivalent with Transport Canada rather than FAA (especially if NAFTA breaks down) ? Just a return to the former G-C (pre C-F; as opposed to G-E) era for registrations :) I'm sure MichaelP would be ready to comment ..
By bookworm
Genghis the Engineer wrote: What it almost certainly won't involve is the present legal mandate that all EU states MUST be compliant with EASA on anything outside of Annex II: if EASA's use is to be mandated that will either be through an an act of parliament or a lower legal piece of rulemaking by the CAA. Bar inevitably bickering, that's broadly where we'll be.

Now, an implication of that is that whilst we will be choosing to use EASA as our authority, it will be in Westminster & Gatwick's joint gift to say that we can use other mechanisms than EASA for either airworthiness or licencing.

No. Imagine the situation. In all other EU states, EASA rules strictly apply. In the UK, the rules can be bent to something softer for local markets. This gives UK manufacturers, schools and operators a competitive advantage over their EU counterparts, while retaining all their rights to export their goods and services in the EASA system. What makes you think that the EU would go for that?

If we remain part of the EASA system, a condition will be that it's all or nothing.