Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By UpThere
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I've had a wacky idea - tell me where the flaws are in it?

Does this count as a possible flaw?

"President Donald Trump has had an unusually tangled relationship with the Federal Aviation Administration, which grounded one of his campaign planes for a paperwork violation, refused for decades to route jet traffic away from Mar-a-Lago, and even dumped his name from navigation points in the Florida skies after he described Mexican immigrants as rapists.

Now the agency and the aviation industry are facing the prospect that the FAA's next chief could be Trump's personal pilot ..."

You've got to be careful what you wish for when you cede the ability to have a say in legislation that affects you. If it was European legislation, hardline Brexiters would no doubt be protesting about becoming a vassal state, but they are strangely silent about ceding our rights to self-determination to the USA.
By Lalo
That would be great! Many FAA Flight Instructors living in Europe would LOVE to provide flight training towards an FAA pilots license in the UK (including Gibraltar).
By PaulB
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Okay, the UK will be leaving the EU. It seems highly likely that arrangements will be put in place that nonetheless keep the UK within EASA, but with some weakened arrangements.

I think that this is the transition agreement agreed yesterday but there seems to be no mention of aviation. I guess that we will remain in EASA until at least the end of the transition and possibly beyond, but why would there be no mention at all in this doc? That said, there is very little about the European Medicines Agency other than it's relocating to another member state (I believe it's going to Amsterdam)
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Transition agreement is part of the overall exit agreement AIUI and, as the document linked to by @PaulB showed, there's still work to do in a number of areas.

That begs the question of the relationship to be implemented post exit and there's little clarity on that as yet, but that is where the EASA question would be answered I think.
By Bob Upanddown
I forget when and by whom it was said (as I am becoming fed up with Brexit) but I seem to recall a politician saying recently that UK would continue to pay money to the EU post-Brexit to cover the member of various EU bodies. I guess that would include EASA but making payments to the EU would go against everything that the Brexit camp said about saving £350million a day (or whatever amount it was) currently paid to the EU would it not?
By Bob Upanddown
The FAA seem to do a lot for free (FAA piggy-back PPLs for example).

Any payment to EASA is, IMHO, better than giving the same task to the CAA. Membership of EU bodies (EASA included) should be paid out of taxes. The CAA, of course, charges (or is that overcharges) the user!!
By Bob Upanddown
Maybe this piece in the Guardian shows how little the general public are being told (or should that be how little the politicians and the media know).

Link

All the Government (and media) appear to be interested in is the ease with which airlines fly from UK to EU, never mind that the whole support system for that could fall apart if they think the CAA can just pick it up in 2 years time.