Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Spooky
I was reading one of the US forums last week (hunting for Rotax info) and a few of them on there suggested the Canadian system is better than the FAA. Mainly during talk of how quickly they’d accepted a new electic aircraft to be approved.

https://www.flyingmag.com/pipistrels-al ... tification

I don’t really know much about either system so cannot really voice an opinion , but thought it worth throwing the info out.
By Bathman
How about we revamp the good old ICAO compliant UK PPL?

Valid for life. Single engine rating renewed with certificate of test or experience. If you want to fly G reg outside of the UK you would need an EASA medical otherwise a medical declaration would do.

Get rid of all those silly ratings that have occurred over the years. If you want to fly a SLMG, TMG, SSEA. Microlight, turbine, wobbly prop, retractable undercarriage etc then its differences training and a signature in a log book.

And at the same time scrap all this ATO rubbish. If you are qualified to teach for the PPL you can simply teach for the PPL.

In fact turn the clock back to about 1988 when the number of PPL's being issued was about 3 times what it is now.

And let the LAA/NPPL guys administer it.
Grelly, Nick, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By tomshep
Although it sounds like a good idea, the proposal will fail because there will be so many nuanced exclusions and special cases that you will end up with something either worse than or identical to what we have now.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Those of us who may have had more exposure to the FAA know that whilst some things are great in FAA land, there is plenty for people regulated by the FAA to be unhappy with and moan about this frequently - forums full!

But to some the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!
By Bob Upanddown
GtE. Have you been on the Sherry?

You must be much younger than I as I remember when FAA was a dirty word at the CAA (well, it seemed like it). All those airworthiness directives that the CAA added to US aircraft, all those special conditions they added which meant modifying brand new US aircraft to meet UK CAA standards?? Remember those? Maybe not.

I think we will be in neck deep Poop with aviation and Brexit.

The BASA that was referred to ? That's an EU / USA BASA, not a UK / USA BASA. As soon as we are out, even if we stay in EASA, it might not apply to UK.

It may be wise to transfer to the USA but FAA instead of UK CAA, never gonna happen.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By moonym20
Personally, I have absolutely nothing to say that is positive about EASA... Spoken as a heavy iron biz jet 'third country' person....
GtE... Admire your ideas.... One can dream....

CAA is a country mile from being perfect, however, it's better than that regulatory monster that has been seemingly built by individuals bestowed with such huge responsibility who hath no industry or real experience whatsoever.....

Viva la FAA..... :-p
By James Chan
how hard would it be to recreate the UK CAA PPL? Recreate it? I have one on the shelf behind me!

Recruitment and retaining talented staff would be timely and very expensive and GA will, again, have a right moan about ‘crazy’ CAA fees.
By Genghis the Engineer
The UK CAA PPL exists again already. Anybody with an EASA licence can apply for one (ditto CPLs and ATPLs), my UK CPL cost me £35 and a bit of form filling.

They could issue them tomorrow ab-initio just using the EASA syllabus and structure already in place.

G
By johnm
Genghis the Engineer wrote:The UK CAA PPL exists again already. Anybody with an EASA licence can apply for one (ditto CPLs and ATPLs), my UK CPL cost me £35 and a bit of form filling.

They could issue them tomorrow ab-initio just using the EASA syllabus and structure already in place.

G

Can you post a link to info about these please GtE. I can't find this option on the CAA website.
By Genghis the Engineer
SRG form 1104, bottom of page 2.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG ... nabled.pdf

(No, doesn't exactly jump out at you, I probably wouldn't have known unless I'd had to do the paperwork for myself a few years ago when transferring a JAR to EASA licence became compulsory.)

The charge is shown here as £36.

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/ ... and-costs/

So the only thing at the moment CAA won't do is issue one ab-initio that I can see, but they'll issue one AS WELL AS an EASA licence, which in reality will do anything anybody wants. I think.

G
By johnm
I think I see.....

AIUI one can have an EASA licence and get a UK PPL on the back of it for annexe II aircraft.

So is the logic that if we're not in EASA but following similar rules, a UK PPL could be used for all CofA aircraft on G-reg, providing the ICAO recognises a UK PPL which we would hope would be a formality?
By johnm
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Yes - and ICAO do, and always have recognised all UK licences except the NPPL. So there's not even a need for that formality, it's done.

G

Yes of course, it's done on an individual state basis and the EU isn't a state, the EU states and a few others just share a regulator. Doh! I of all people should have twigged that :oops:
By Genghis the Engineer
Incidentally I fly on an CPL and IR(R) - having never (yet) got around to the full IR. You might remember that the old UK CPL had embedded IMCR privileges.

When my JAR CPL/IMCR was reissued including the second licence, I checked and although my IR(R) was listed on the EASA CPL, it was not listed on the UK CPL. I queried that with Gatwick who told me that was correct "because UK professional licences have embedded IR(R) privileges" :o

G