Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It appears that the BBC have a new contract with MeteoGroup.

I used to be able to store a single “favourite” webpage containing a 5 day graphical display and pressure chart display, together with a video presentation for the next few days weather.

It now seems nigh on impossible to locate any such stuff anymore without first being directed to your “locality” page, with pretty little picture symbols of white fluffy clouds, black angry clouds with raindrops, rows of temperatures at different times of day, and generally useless stuff inadequate for anything except maybe hanging the washing out. :evil:
By Ian Melville
I must confess that I thought this had already happened, but see that it was delayed from Aug 2016.

Not had a chance to review it yet.
By joe-fbs
Done, AIUI, because it is “efficient” for tax funded BBC (i.e. license fee which I 100% support) to source services not from the tax funded Met’ Office but from abroad.

I know Kanga has explained repeatedly this now ancient political stupidity but it continues to amaze me that “no” politician in c35 years has even mentioned it.
kanga liked this
By rikur_
flybymike wrote:I used to be able to store a single “favourite” webpage containing a 5 day graphical display and pressure chart display, together with a video presentation for the next few days weather.

I still seem to get everything except the pressure chart ..... e.g.: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2648993
One small change I prefer is showing the % probability of precipitation - I found the old BBC site used to show rain at anything > 25% probability which was a bit misleading.

That said, I only use BBC weather on mobile .... on computers I prefer the Metoffice site directly as it has easier access to the underlying metrological data and actuals, as well as clearly showing gust forecasts. I can direct link to relevant locations and somewhere I managed to change preferences (e.g. kts vs mph) , e.g. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/wea ... /gcx75k984
By johnm
I don’t use BBC weather, other than seeing forecasts on TV. Both Metoffice and MeteoGroup have decent free apps and I use them regularly
By peter272
I see the TV graphics have also changed again and they've lost the wind information.

The forecaster on Sunday night told us to watch out for strong winds but the graphics didn't show any details of strength or direction. Nice one :roll:
By cockney steve
BBC now asking for registration as well, presumably so they can harvest and flog the data .
Not playing ball! the old "weather " site , one could select one's "favourites" and move between them for a present and future forecast.
Now look at the Manchester Barton website, where "Windy . Com " have an animated graphic map that seems pretty good to me. (go to "full ATIS" and scroll down )

Don't have a TV, Won't register, so no longer listen to Beeb on computer, either.
By joe-fbs
Same with BBC Radio Player. Registration required and demanding a swathe of personal data so I now listen to other audio. Entering one’s license number I could just about stomach but not all this other stuff. So I cheerfully pay my license but am denied access.
By Gertie
cockney steve wrote:BBC now asking for registration as well, presumably so they can harvest and flog the data .
Not playing ball! the old "weather " site , one could select one's "favourites" and move between them for a present and future forecast.
Don't have a TV, Won't register, so no longer listen to Beeb on computer, either.

Me too.
cockney steve liked this
By JonBoy
peter272 wrote:I see the TV graphics have also changed again and they've lost the wind information.

The forecaster on Sunday night told us to watch out for strong winds but the graphics didn't show any details of strength or direction. Nice one :roll:

I too noticed the lack of wind information in the forecast. I’m all for improved modern technology but I feel that this specific point is a retrograde step.
By AerBabe
rikur_ wrote:I still seem to get everything except the pressure chart

Scroll down the page to the zoomed in map. There is a tab for pressure.
rikur_ liked this
By rikur_
joe-fbs wrote:Registration required and demanding a swathe of personal data so I now listen to other audio.

Not sure if I got a different registration page, but all I needed to provide was an email address, year of birth and postcode ..... although there is a 'gender' field, it has the option of 'prefer not to say'. I believe the postcode is there to determine which local news iPlayer offers you by default, and the year of birth is used to apply content restrictions if the age is under 18.

I might be in a minority of one, but in a family context I prefer having iPlayer registration, as it means my 'favourites' and 'recents' are actually mine, not CBeebies and CBBC!!
By Gertie
rikur_ wrote:
joe-fbs wrote:Registration required and demanding a swathe of personal data so I now listen to other audio.

Not sure if I got a different registration page, but all I needed to provide was an email address, year of birth and postcode .....

More than enough for you to be accurately identified (and thus tied to your social media accounts and all the other data out there) even if you've used a disposable email address, as one would. And then they can knock on your door and demand to see your telly licence, which is of course what the entire exercise is all about.