Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lindsayp
For perspective, Milan Malpensa is a rather long way from Milan, in fact about the same distance as Oxford or Cranfield or Luton from London. What is harder to swallow is London Southend. or indeed the Kent airfields (apart from Biggin)
By Rob P
I don't quite follow that argument when Southend is 24nm from the City but Cranfield is 42nm and Oxford 55nm

:scratch:

Rob P
By CloudHound
Here's the definitive explanation of why 'London' added to an aerodrome is a marketing device, not an aviation naming convention
Naming of aerodromes
1.31 Aerodrome operational information and other relevant data are notified by
the Aeronautical Information Services (AIS) in accordance with international
standards and recommended practices specified in ICAO annex 15, European
Commission Regulation and any applicable Aeronautical Data Requirements
concerning data integrity and assurance specifications.

1.32 In guidance Document 8126 Aeronautical Information Services manual, ICAO
requires to be shown in the Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP) of a
State, a list of aerodrome and heliport names and ICAO location indicators. The
aerodrome name should indicate the name in capitals of the city or town served
by the aerodrome, followed by an oblique strike and the name given to the
aerodrome by the State concerned, thus LIVERPOOL/John Lennon.

1.33 In aviation safety terms the name of an aerodrome is directly connected with
aeronautical communications and flight safety information. Furthermore, certain
aerodromes, recognised for their international importance, are notified to ICAO,
which in turn publishes details of existing and planned facilities available at the
aerodrome in the regional Air Navigation Plan (FACID). It is therefore important for
flight planning purposes, including international flights, that the aerodrome name is
consistently recognisable, relevant, unambiguous and promulgated accordingly.

1.34 The aerodrome name used in aeronautical information should therefore include
the name used in the callsign for air traffic communications (for licensed
aerodromes and where applicable, as specified in AD 2.17 or AD 2.18 of the
AIP), be representative of its location (the nearest city or town), and should not
have the potential to be confused with another aerodrome.
My bold.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
"The aerodrome name used in aeronautical information" = CRANFIELD. London Cranfield is a marketing device and not affected by the paras you quote.
By chevvron
Rob P wrote:I don't quite follow that argument when Southend is 24nm from the City but Cranfield is 42nm and Oxford 55nm

Rob P

And of course we all know that Brussels Charleroi is about 60 miles from Brussels but no-one told Michael O'Leary.
By kanga
chevvron wrote:..
And of course we all know that Brussels Charleroi is about 60 miles from Brussels but no-one told Michael O'Leary.

.. but much more convenient for SHAPE :)

[ISTR from '60s the ATLB refusing to let carriers publishing scheduled services as being to/from 'London Luton', 'London Stansted' or (tried by Harold Bamberg of British Eagle) 'London Leavesden'; or to publish in their timetables details of public transport connexions to Greater London. Only Heathrow and Gatwick were allowed to be 'London' airports, and Gatwick was hardly allowed any scheduled services. This was all to protect BEA/BOAC and the foreign (usually foreign government) airlines who shared scheduled routes with mutually agreed government-set fares, which no one was allowed to appear to undercut.]
By Lindsayp
Rob P wrote:I don't quite follow that argument when Southend is 24nm from the City but Cranfield is 42nm and Oxford 55nm

Rob P

Fair point Rob, I thought it was rather further than that as one of my staff commutes into London from there and it takes her 2 hours plus including the tube
By TLRippon
I heard on the radio the other day that HS2 is having a pre tug on investment in Birmingham, described as making it London’s zone 4 so perhaps BHX could be London Birmingham Airport.
How about London Sywell?
By Rob P
Lindsayp wrote:as one of my staff commutes into London from there and it takes her 2 hours plus including the tube

That's what she tells you :D

Rob P
Lindsayp liked this