Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Shedder
We've just replaced our Garmin 530 with an Avidyne 540. I've downloaded the simulator, and looked at a couple of Youtube videos. Do any forum members have any tips for getting started with it, for both VFR and IFR flying?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Shedder

- make sure that the unit has 10.2 firmware loaded.
- ensure that you have setup all of the comms interfaces with all your other avionics that are connected to the 540, e.g., transponder for ADS-B Out, engine analyser for fuel flow, etc.
- ensure that you have the wifi and Bluetooth enabled,
- download the IFD100 iPad app.
- purchase the appropriate Jepp nav database, plates, obstacle database for your desired geographical area and install via USB and on to the iPad as required (the IFD100 needs the same Airac cycle as the IFD unit).
- make sure that the iPad communicates over wifi and the separate keypad over Bluetooth (if purchased).
- setup all of your user preferences via the Aux Setup page (there are five separate user profiles should you have multiple users). Enabling 8.33 kHz comms will be important here.
- play with the sim and read the user manual thoroughly in order to get used to basic comm / nav frequency selection and input, user way points, route entry (including rubber banding on screen).
- fly some VFR routes and get used to changing the route dynamically in flight with new waypoint insertion and jumping over waypoints with direct to, etc.
- plan some IFR routes with airway designators to see how easy it is to populate all of the intermediate points on an airway automatically.
- Do a trip to somewhere like Alderney to shoot some LPV approaches with missed approach and hold entry to see how all of the auto-sequencing and hold entry / guidance works. Make sure you know how to select an approach and to sequence to the start of the procedure from en route if required.

Iceman 8)
Hi Iceman

So if you have to have the same database in the IFD100 and the unit do you have to pay Jeppereson twice? I'm just fitting an 440 and the IDF100 will make such a difference just due to screen size. But the thought of having to pay for the data twice would be a bit of a blow.

Ta in anticipation.

GH
I've just got an IFD 440 and taken out a Jepp subscription for it. The way this works is you can allocate a mobile device to the subscription and you can load the navdata (don't know about charts as the 440 doesn't do them anyway) onto it at no extra charge. It's all done through the IFD100 app in that you put your Jepp credentials into it and it walks you through it...
The 440 Jepp subscription wont do charts. The main reason being the 440 is not designed to display the charts. However the screen size of an Ipad (mini) with the IFD100 app will obviously be a suitable size.
Avidyne told me to get the 540 Jepp subscription for the 440 unit so that can get charts on the ipad (mini). I found that out too late so will have to wait until renewal time.

Will be interesting to know if anyone has managed that.

Note when you phone Jepp you can get different/conflicting answers to the same question and I find their website confusing / overly complicated.
I see the charts for Europe are €1712 subscription for a year. Just UK is over €500 for the year. I will give it a miss.

Just the nav data is €400 per year for Europe.
One tip I've found - if you find the "controlled airspace ahead" alerts annoying (as well as actual controlled airspace, this seems to appear for MATZ and ATZs even if you're above them in some cases) , they can be turned off by going to the AUX page, setup tab, and pressing the Setup LSK (will probably be showing Setup Map by default) until it shows FMS setup - you can then turn them off under the alerts heading.

(This might be obvious, but I assumed it would be in the user options and as it wasn't I erroneously concluded it couldn't be done until I came across it in the simulator!)
As people get used to new 8.33 installs, they need some consistency with how it behaves.

If there are multiple pilots using these IFD units in one aircraft and the number of pilots exceeds the number of user profiles so they cannot be allocated one each, I suggest keeping one user profile setup same as factory defaults apart from allowing obvious adjustments such as range scales and track up/north up which are easy to notice and change with one button press.

In our group opinions are polarised about FLTA on/off so we have one user profile with FLTA always off.

For those that go with FLTA On, they have their own opinions for the associated volume level, so I would suggest you check that volume level (under AUX menu) as part of pre-flight check in case previous pilot has turned it right down (so you wont hear it the one time you need to) or deafeningly loud (which is highly distracting).
Thanks for the replies. I've now done a couple of flights with an ILS and an RNAV approach into Gloucester, and am getting more familiar with it. It's certainly an impressive peice of kit compared to the 530.

One thing I found odd - I put in a route from Duxford to Gloucester, and then added the RNAV procedure en-route, but without activating it. It then came up showing a gap in the route, which cleared when I told it to activate the approach?

Jeppesen have sent me quotes for 2 bundles, one for 930 Euros and one for 1311. The only differences seem to be in that one has:

Electronic Chart Services.Avidyne IFD540.Jepp Services Suite.Avionics
Electronic Chart Services.Central Europe.JV MFD IFR.JSS.Coverage

and and the other:

Electronic Chart Services.Avidyne.IFD540.Jepp Services Suite Plus.Avionics
Electronic Chart Services.Northern Europe.JV MFD IFR.Coverage

Both are a lot more than we paid for the 530 subscription, but I guess that's because we're also getting the charts. What are other people going for? Most of our flying is in the UK, with a few trips to Europe.
I guess your bundles are here: https://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/legal/flitepak/avidyne-ifd540/index.jsp

Jepp descriptions and pricing is very confusing.

We have the Jepp Service Suite + IFR bundle (not the Plus option) so that the Jepp data licensed for the unit is also available on the IFD100 App for a limited number of Ipads/Ipad minis.

I do the flight planning on the IFD100 App (which does not have Notams/Wx) and Wifi transfer it to the unit in the aircraft.

It is annoying the Jepp site still says charts not available for the IFD440 when the Ipad screen is large enough.

That link says the PLUS option includes Mobile FliteDeck (Ipad) and JeppView (PC) navigation apps for the extra 381 euros in your prices. Do you need them? Also a bit weird the Plus option was Northern Europe and your base option was Central Europe. (Our 440 bundle is Central Europe).

Your base bundle price is approx 300 euros more than the IFD440 bundle.... the difference being the electronic charts.

The subscription covers two IFD units on the panel should you ever need to add another!
Personally I would prefer them to halve the price!