Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Can't speak for anybody else, but with the switch from CAA to JAA then EASA, my reference number has never changed.

My plastic 61.75 says "UK issued PPL No.", my CPL still has that number on it and PPL privileges listed - the combination has been seen and discussed by several US rentouters, and nobody's had a problem with it.

G

It's not the 7 digit CAA Reference Number that's the issue; it's the licence number.

The licence number, from "CAA poo brown", to JAA, to EASA, to "modern UK CAA" always* contained/contains the Reference number as part of its formulation, but the full licence number is different in each case.

It is the full licence number that is quoted on the back of the FAA Certificate, and it is that which must be consistent with the "based on" licence that you use. i.e. not "123456K" but "EASA.FCL.PP.123456K.A"

There was an FAA Counsel's Opinion on this at the time, and the licence numbers must match for the FAA 61.75 certificate to be valid**. There were several threads here at the time, quoting chapter & verse with links. It is why the CAA had people at GA events for a season, prepared and ready to complete the verification forms in person without pilots needing to attend at Gatwick as they now do.

*Well, since standardised CAA Reference numbers came in, anyway. Early 90s?
** See here (.doc file) for a statement to that effect hosted on the EASA website.
By Dave W
If the number on an ICAO compliant licence is consistent with the number on the 61.75 FAA Certificate, then you're good to go. (Validity and ICAO compliant medical allowing).

Are brown CAA licences still ICAO compliant?
By FlyboyStu
I got my piggyback 61.75 back in November 2017. I hired from StPete Air based at St Petersburg; not quite South Florida, but we did fly all over the south including down to Key West.

The only issue I found that seems to have changed in recent years is that you will almost certainly need to use (and pay) a Designated Pilot Examiner to do the paperwork for you; FSDOs seem to have 'delegated' this work to the DPEs. You still need to nominate an FSDO on your FAA application, but then you also need to make contact with a DPE associated with that FSDO. You can find lists of DPEs and their associated FSDOs on the FAA web site. Some schools will help you out and arrange for a DPE to visit; some others require you to organise yourself. Expect to pay around 100 USD.
Flying badger  wrote:Once you have your piggyback 61.75 you need to validate your licence with a biennial flight review. This is separate from the check ride. I literally just got back from Florida where I went just to get that done. I found these guys who were old school, ie relaxed and inexpensive. Talked me through the flight review and didn’t try to catch me out. (Based at ft lauderdale executive)
Richards aviation 954-292-7608.
Joe is the instructor, Carl (Richards) owns the planes .
No website, I was introduced to them by someone at the airport. Wouldn’t have found them otherwise but oh so glad I did. Good luck.

Edit: email richav@bellsouth.net

Just noticed you know about the biennial, apologies for repetition.

Hi Flying Badger, I emailed these guys a few days ago but no reply so far, is the address definitely correct?
Thanks
FlyboyStu wrote:I got my piggyback 61.75 back in November 2017. I hired from StPete Air based at St Petersburg; not quite South Florida, but we did fly all over the south including down to Key West.

The only issue I found that seems to have changed in recent years is that you will almost certainly need to use (and pay) a Designated Pilot Examiner to do the paperwork for you; FSDOs seem to have 'delegated' this work to the DPEs. You still need to nominate an FSDO on your FAA application, but then you also need to make contact with a DPE associated with that FSDO. You can find lists of DPEs and their associated FSDOs on the FAA web site. Some schools will help you out and arrange for a DPE to visit; some others require you to organise yourself. Expect to pay around 100 USD.

Hi FlyboyStu

I got my paperwork sorted out with the New York field office of the FAA.

It was a bit of a nightmare as the original application was lost but it was sorted out in the end but not until after I had missed the flying I was going to do in Florida :D
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:What if I have two valid national licences with two different licence numbers? :D

If I take the brown one, the number will match, together with the slashes. If I take the blue one, the number with the dots won't match exactly.

My guess is that until 8th April, no problem. After then your poo-brown will only be valid on Annex II, ergo your 61.75 will be similarly restricted.

I doubt whether anyone renting you an aircraft in the US would currently appreciate that subtlety, but I wouldn’t want to risk it without black and white confirmation from the FAA.
By Paul_Sengupta
GrahamB wrote:My guess is that until 8th April, no problem. After then your poo-brown will only be valid on Annex II, ergo your 61.75 will be similarly restricted.

But this is only in EASA-land, not the rest of the world, for which it still remains an ICAO compliant licence.
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
GrahamB wrote:My guess is that until 8th April, no problem. After then your poo-brown will only be valid on Annex II, ergo your 61.75 will be similarly restricted.

But this is only in EASA-land, not the rest of the world, for which it still remains an ICAO compliant licence.

ICAO compliance may be a moot point, when it has an inbuilt restriction on its scope. Surely it's the FAA's view on this that counts, not yours.

61.75 (e) wrote:(3) Is subject to the limitations and restrictions on the person's U.S. certificate and foreign pilot license when exercising the privileges of that U.S. pilot certificate in an aircraft of U.S. registry operating within or outside the United States; ..