Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The restriction is on flying EASA registered aeroplanes. Those in the US (or anywhere outside EASA-land) will not be EASA registered, so no restrictions there.

But the restriction is that the licence is valid for flying Annex 2 types only.

I agree that it is prima facie intended for aircraft registered in an EASA state; but it's a limitation nevertheless which the CFR quoted above would appear to inherit.

Has anyone asked the FAA for an opinion?

Are the CAA still doing the 'acting as the FAA front desk' service for swapping 61.75s with old style numbers for ones with Part FCL numbers, saving a trip to the US or appointment with one of the Europe based DPE's?
By Human Factor
Just had my 61.75 reissued via the Belgrano. It’s just the reference number the FAA are interested in (which the CAA confirm for their £44). My cardboard one was based on my PPL, my new plastic one is based on my ATPL.

On a related note, can I do my BFR in the U.K. on a G-reg with an FAA CFI or must it be N?
By Paul_Sengupta
GrahamB wrote:But the restriction is that the licence is valid for flying Annex 2 types only.

That's the way it works out here because you can't fly EASA aeroplanes. The restriction as far as I know isn't "you can only fly Annex II", it's, "you need an EASA licence to fly EASA aeroplanes", which in this country, means a UK PPL can fly Annex II only. It wouldn't mean that elsewhere. EASA are throwing away the ICAO tenets in this respect.
By GrahamB
I think we'll have to agree to disagree until someone tests it with the FAA.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of renting an EASA type over there after 8th April without such clarification, or a 61.75 with a number that matched my EASA licence.
By Dave W
GrahamB wrote:... or a 61.75 with a number that matched my EASA licence.

There's no question about this one: If the numbers (and that's the whole number format, not just the 7 character CAA Reference number) do not match then your FAA certificate is no longer valid and needs to be re-issued. For the time being you can do this via a personal visit to the CAA rather than travelling to the USA.

CAA wrote:Re-issue of FAA Certificates for UK licences issued after 17 September 2012
Following the introduction of harmonized European pilot licences, pilots holding a UK ‘National’ or EASA licence, who also hold an ‘FAA Certificate’ allowing them to fly in the United States, must have the document reissued by the FAA to retain its validity. This is an FAA requirement, following format changes to European licences.

This arrangement avoids the need for pilots to travel to the US for verification of identity, as the FAA has confirmed that pilots can have the certificate reissued outside the United States. Pilots should contact the UK CAA's licensing service to arrange the re-issue.
Pilots have until October 2018 to have their FAA Certificate reissued.

From here, which explains the process and links to the relevant forms and ID requirements.
When completing the FAA and CAA forms, although you can complete the PDF on your computer, you then have to save, print, SIGN and then scan it back to them as neither will accept 'electronic signatures'. At least I know they are working on it!!
By PeteSpencer
Prompted by the deadline of Oct 2018 I decided after all to get my FAA 61.75 cert reissued so have dutifully filled in SRG2110 and will find some time to go down to the Belgrano with my £44. Dunno if I'll ever use it but who knows?

I did have a query as my FAA cert has an old address and I didn't want faff when they discovered my CAA supplied verification new address wasn't the same.

So I emailed the FAA:

And got a 'no problem' soothing reply within two hours.

Now that's what I call service.
:wink:
Peter
By Clive
Despite reading this long and interesting discussion I still have a question.: if you have an EASA licence and a new UK PPL is the poo brown licence now cancelled so can’t be used with the plastic airman’s certificate to fly in the US?
Just to clarify, ta
By Flying_john
I think I have the same question as Clive - if I still have my Poo Brown licence AND a new EU licence, is my USA licence still valid on the strength of the poo brown one - actuall y reissued in a blue cover now.
Clive liked this
By 2Donkeys
The 61.75 licence relies for its validity for the continuing validity of the specific named/numbered underlying licence. Therefore, if your licence names your old Poo Brown licence, then your 61.75 is invalid and requires updating too.
Iceman liked this