Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By welkyboy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a pilot who flies from Jersey, we have had a lot of dialogue with Customs at Dinard since the imposition of the 24hr PNR, and at the moment it is permanent for light aircraft regardless of the commercial movements.
ConcordeBA liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
Irv Lee wrote:In certain seasons there is a passenger ferry Dinard town to St Malo across the mouth of the Bay. Also, don't arrive just after a Ryanair is turfed out the passengers, taxi drivers in the area don't stub out their Gitanes, knock back their Ricard, and head for the airport just because there are fares to be had, so you end up with 50 people queueing for two taxis running back and forward, as @GaFlyer4Fun and I discovered.

The French security arches were more sensitive than Heathrow and Luton that year.
I set them all off (the French ones, not the UK ones), and Irv did not, much to his amusement as I had to assume the "I got nothing to hide" position for another security pat down and magic wand assessment.
C'est la vie.

Enjoyed that weekend in sunny France. 8)
ConcordeBA liked this
By GrahamB
Wessex Flyer wrote:Does the 24 hour notice applies both to inbound and outbound flights then?

Yes, if travelling to or from outside of the Schengen area.
ConcordeBA liked this
By defcribed
I did a trip to Dinard a few years ago (spent a couple of night in St Malo - about 30 Euro in a taxi as others have said) and would highly recommend it.

The only point I'd make is to try to avoid being there when the Ryanair is on the ground or expected soon. It caused a few staff members to decide that something incredibly important was happening and that no, you certainly couldn't walk to your aircraft because it was essential that everyone stood and looked at the 737.

That may of course no longer be the case. But try to avoid the Ryanair anyway - you may as well.
ConcordeBA liked this
By patowalker
Since were drifting...
Inhabitants of Saint-Malo are called Malouins in French. From this came the Spanish name for the Islas Malvinas, the archipelago known in English as the Falkland Islands. Islas Malvinas derives from the 1764 name Îles Malouines, given to the islands by French explorer Louis-Antoine de Bougainville.[1] Bougainville, who founded the archipelago's first settlement, named the islands after the inhabitants of Saint-Malo, the point of departure for his ships and colonists.
skydriller, kanga, Iceman liked this
By Lefty
patowalker wrote:Since were drifting...
Inhabitants of Saint-Malo are called Malouins in French. From this came the Spanish name for the Islas Malvinas, the archipelago known in English as the Falkland Islands. Islas Malvinas derives from the 1764 name Îles Malouines, given to the islands by French explorer Louis-Antoine de Bougainville.[1] Bougainville, who founded the archipelago's first settlement, named the islands after the inhabitants of Saint-Malo, the point of departure for his ships and colonists.

Well I’ll go to the foot of the stairs !
By GolfHotel
PB wrote:...

I love flying in France and has been said here many times before it really is very easy....

I like all the class E, talk to them if you want to, otherwise just get on with it. Fab. I did Carcasson for lunch then to Saumer one afternoon, about 270 miles almost straight line and talked to no one after climbing out. Well the wife was wittering on but I ignore her. Come to think of it we never even saw another plane. (I'm not going to mention the spectacularly Carp landing I almost didn't pull off at the end. :oops: )
By ConcordeBA
Thanks for the replies guys! I can't use the ILS at Dinard anyway, as I am only covered in the EGxx FIR. I am guessing that time of year I'll need an indoor pool rather than outside unless a Heatwave is expected?

I'll be back with more questions. But avoid the Ryanair. I already do..
By Irv Lee
defcribed wrote:I did a trip to Dinard a few years ago (spent a couple of night in St Malo - about 30 Euro in a taxi as others have said) and would highly recommend it.

The only point I'd make is to try to avoid being there when the Ryanair is on the ground or expected soon. It caused a few staff members to decide that something incredibly important was happening and that no, you certainly couldn't walk to your aircraft because it was essential that everyone stood and looked at the 737.

That may of course no longer be the case. But try to avoid the Ryanair anyway - you may as well.

And the same situation meant @GAFlyer4Fun and I found a very friendly member of staff. The queue for taxis was far too long due to the Ryanair, we abandoned the queue after a few minutes, walked down to staff car park gate, stuck out thumb, instant hit from a staff member we'd seen after we parked the plane, now leaving at end of shift, "where to?", "don't care", "I live in St Malo, going there now", "yes please". It was all in full view of the taxi queue too which was amusing for us as we drove past them.
GAFlyer4Fun liked this