Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
How come they can do this but we can't ? - where does the funding come from ?

Public funding and/or public ownership. (Edit: kanga’s explanation is better!)

The UK government sold a lot of aerodromes off back in the day to private companies without sufficient regulation.

It happened also because UK GA representation was weak and poorly funded at the time. No disrespect intended to those who worked very hard at the time to keep things ticking.

After privatisation of core infrastructure, the dark side of capitalism is also opened.

In my opinion, light GA only manages to exist in this country today through the goodwill gestures of certain landowners / operators, some who are very much into light aviation themselves.

The plugs can also be pulled easily, and we have seen that happen.
Quite correct James. This country is comparatively small. France is much bigger and so are distances. They also revere Montgolfier, Saint Exupery and Bleriot. Aviation plays a large part in their pantheon of national heroism. Flying is considered a good thing in France.
Bu~~er Brexit, it is where I had intended to retire and to fly.
chevvron wrote:IT'S HAPPENED BEFORE!
Gawd some of you have very short memories. Can't you remember mid '80s when the then operator of Biggin tried this on. There was suddenly great interest shown in re-opening Wisley to the extent that Biggin training aircraft would do circuits there with 'high' go-arounds to avoid annoying the farmer.

Note the steel barriers crossing the runway; they are fully capable of taking the undercarriage off a Jodel as was found out in about 1980.
There also appears to be a trench dug across the western portion of the runway.
From Anoop (EFG Flying School)

Dear Members, Friends, EFG, and Surrey & Kent family

It has come as a shock to us, and all other flying schools at Biggin Hill, that we have all been given 6 months notice to cease flight training at this airport.

We are already in discussions with various airport operators in relation to relocating and continuing all business activities with the least disruption to all courses. Rest assured you will still be able to continue to fly at Biggin Hill over the coming months during the transition period.

To our students who have purchased packages, they will be honoured and simply be transferred over to our new home – the terms and continuity will not be affected.

Since 1947 EFG has been part of the fabric of South East England & London flying. Leading the way in Private Pilot Licences, and over the last decade Commercial ratings.
Our Head of Training Wing Commander Ray Watson has kept the props turning and students learning at Biggin for nearly 6 decades. January 3rd 1959 Rex Nicholls flew the first EFG aircraft into Biggin Hill. Since then we have trained thousands of pilots and witnessed careers blossom for both our students, pilots and our own instructors.

Our pilots have gone on to fly for legacy airlines, short and long haul airlines, corporate jets, purchase their own planes, and of course many still fly with us. We take great pride in each and every one of our students and members and will continue to do so.

If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact us, but we can assure you that your interests are at our hearts and protected.

In the meantime, thank you for your loyal support.

Best always

Anoop Singh Bamrah

Watch this space for bigger and better things to come!
I appreciate the challenges (financial & logistical) associated with Biggin, but with the restrictions already in place on circuits and the PPR system, it seems completely unnecessary to ask the long established training organisations to leave. A single take off and landing back at the base field per lesson, with circuits conducted away from the field when busy, was defensible, if not desirable. This latest action seems completely unnecessary and heavy handed with no consideration given for the people behind businesses that have been built up over many decades.
G-BLEW, 2Donkeys, flybymike and 3 others liked this
Not a massive surprise, but EFG reporting that all flying schools were given 6 months notice yesterday to quit flight training and get out.

What on earth is going on up there?!?
I can’t see public support being on their side should they need it again after this divisive and excluding move.

Are they really ordering all of them offsite and not keeping one so the airfield can continue to boast one their website “Biggin Hill is one of the most renowned airfields in the world for learning to fly and many commercial pilots and business leaders have started here.

You can choose fixed wing aircraft or helicopters with many exams to be taken along the way – principles of flight, air navigation, weather and much more.”
I suspected this damaging directive will happen.

The airport is owned by the council. Someone must be offering certain people £££££s to do something as significant as this so it’s good to know whether any dirty money / corruption is at play from anyone with influence. But maybe there is no corruption and just down to local politics.

Obviously the airport operator will develop the airfield in line with the owner’s wishes.

On a separate note, given Manchester Airports Group is also owned by several councils and what they’ve managed to do at their airports with the lighter side of GA, therefore Biggin can only head one way unless the political environment changes.
Bloody astonishing. I relished learning to fly at Biggin with a great group of people and am very sad indeed that it has come to this. Like Reubeno, I don’t see what Biggin gains from this. A few portakabins and a few more movements?

Biggin when I flew there was a wonderful mixed-use GA airfield, with vintage aircraft, training, spamcans, biz jets and the occasional military visitor all mixing it easily. Shame on the management for turning an iconic name in British aviation into a soulless biz jet hub.
That's absolutely terrible news I am shocked it has happened so soon .
What is bad over the last few years Curtis has asked the airport community to support longer hours , hotel etc . Without telling them the real story .basically when we get enough jet traffic you are gone ! Some clubs were taken in by the propaganda from the management and now will find it difficult to find a local airfield that will take them all .
Very sad day.