Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I see that Cranfield has taken the occasion of the appointment of its new Airport Ops Director not only to mention the remote control tower again, but also its plans to introduce radar.

It all sounds very positive and a far cry from the kind of place that has to close down completely because of a sick fire fighter or because of frost on the runway.

Fingers crossed.
matspart3, ianfallon, Bobcro and 5 others liked this
By GonzoEGLL
Has there actually been confirmation that the radar being installed will be used for the provision of Approach Radar services. I had thought I had read a few months ago that it was actually more of a research tool and wouldn't be available/used for ATS provision.

However, I can't find anything that claims that now, but then neither can I find anything about plans for radar-based ATS.
By 2Donkeys
GonzoEGLL wrote:Has there actually been confirmation that the radar being installed will be used for the provision of Approach Radar services

It was new news to me and my sole source is the press release I linked to at the top of the thread. The provision of radar services is somewhat out of keeping with Cranfield's hitherto minimalist approach to non-University aviation at the field.
By Bobcro
Cranfield have taken steps through this Forum to inform the pilots and operators as to what has and what is likely to happen but your key source is always NOTAMs.

I'll add a few posts on immediate issues and feedback is monitored. Much is available on public planning sites and links will be provided.
By Rob P
UHMRA could be a bit quiet these days
By Bobcro
DIGITAL CONTROL TOWER
The links give you access to planning, location and drawings of the tower. The University News Release provides more information.

You do need to check the NOTAMS as the contractors require access to Apron 1, Taxiways A and D and across the grass area. Parts of the Airport may be closed at very short notice. Dont assume that as you checked the NOTAMS last night that none have been issued since then.

https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/press/news- ... trol-tower

http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/P ... key=606670.
By 2Donkeys
Oh the irony

I wrote:It all sounds very positive and a far cry from the kind of place that has to close down completely because of a sick fire fighter or because of frost on the runway.

Cranfield has just called me to tell me that they will be closed from 1300 until EOD tomorrow because of a sick fire-fighter.

Flightplans cancelled.
Nick, BlackheathBloke liked this
By Rob P
Have you considered an arrangement where you pay six months' worth of hangarage at Cambridge and six months at Cranfield and then redeem those months over the year, switching to whichever has the healthiest fire-fighters and ATC staff that day?

Rob P
2Donkeys, Nick liked this
By Bobcro
Airport closed 1300 hr Saturday 10th Feb.

Official notice.
1.0 Temporary Airport Closure
Due to sickness within the RFFS Department, Cranfield Airport will close at 13:00 hours on February 10th 2018 as we are unable to achieve RFFS Cat 2.

This is most unfortunate but they are attempting to increase the number of staff they employ. With the amount of expensive building works taking place on Campus they will not permit operations out of licensed hours
By 2Donkeys
I don't need Cat 2 cover, and they have the discretion to permit such operations, but elect not to.

Operating as they do under an Ordinary Licence, we all use the airfield because Cranfield's management lets us, not because we have any inherent right.

That's not the greatest position from which to start negotiations on their interesting interpretation of CAP168.
ianfallon liked this
By Bobcro
Now they have an Airport Director who is responsible not only for the Airport but other developments as well and has has only been officially in the job for a day; let's work with him on seeing how we can improve matters. Changes will not happen overnight but I am sure that he would be please to meet with you when you shut down tomorrow at 12.59.