Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sorry Rudeboy, I'd looked at your booking website and it looked like Sunday which I did think looked a bit weird.

I'm at the Tipsy Nipper restaurant, Fife airport for lunch today, having gone out for a bimble from Blackbushe :lol:.

Iceman 8)
Paul_Sengupta, Rob L liked this
By Iceman
Morten

I was pointed in the direction of this rather fine establishment earlier, situated just at the end of Wick runway 31. I now very much have a reason to make my first visit to Wick, having overflown it many times. Thanks to 'The Other Ian' for the tip :thumright: 8).

Ackergill Tower Hotel

Apparently, they will send a vehicle to an airport gate to pick you up. I look forward to seeing Wick in the not too distant future.

Iceman 8)
GeorgeJLA liked this
Do you have a weather dependent plan yet Morten?

Not that anyone would know from current weather forecasts, it's the normal with such a north/south divide. this may have been the weekend to have been in the Highlands?

@Iceman, did you get to Wick? :thumleft:

Glenforsa now (Sun. 10.20ish):
Yesterday Afternoon:
Sunset Fri.:
Sunset last night:
Iceman, Dave W, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this
By Iceman
I've looked at the Glenforsa camera every day this week and have seen the blue skies weather there whilst be are freezing our gonads off again down south. I am still contemplating Scotland for Easter as well, but the Wick hotel appears to be full that weekend at the moment so it could be Dornoch and Glenforsa, subject to forecasts nearer the time (I'd be in the non de-iced Robin).

I'll give you a call if I'm coming up Misc.

Iceman 8)
Miscellaneous liked this
Tonight's the night apparently - for a taste of the Northern Lights as viewed in the far north, see "Night of the Northern Lights" on youtube. A silhouette of Ackergil Tower is at 1.30 minutes in, approximately.

If I knew how to provide the link................... !
I'll be more prepared tonight, Bill. Sat last night watching TV when SWMBO jumped about 3 feet off the settee scared by the figure stood at the window. It was the neighbour to tell us about the show. Nothing was prepared, however it was a show the pics don't do justice. The vertical red image is apparently known as a Steve. It really was very visible to the naked eye and reflecting on the water, the reflection can just be seen in the pic.

I had a look a bit later on the way to bed and they had become brighter as the quick pic attached shows.

What a way that would have been to finish off a fantastic flying weekend in the Highlands. Sat tipple of choice in hand being treated to that show. Looks like another fantastic sunset tonight. Nowhere else in the world would I a rather be, at least these past few days. :lol:

Here's hoping @Morten's lack of activity on the thread is due to him being flying in the Highlands. :thumleft:

Lockhaven, Iceman, Dave W and 2 others liked this
By Iceman
Bill McCarthy wrote:Tonight's the night apparently - for a taste of the Northern Lights as viewed in the far north, see "Night of the Northern Lights" on youtube. A silhouette of Ackergil Tower is at 1.30 minutes in, approximately.

If I knew how to provide the link................... !

Like this ...

Absolutely stunning Bill. My sightings in Norway and Iceland do not come up to this standard (although they were still pretty amazing). I must get to Ackergil Tower soon :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
mick w, Lockhaven liked this
By Morten
Miscellaneous wrote:Here's hoping @Morten's lack of activity on the thread is due to him being flying in the Highlands. :thumleft:

I've not been that quiet - although I've not replied to every post! :cyclops:

But sadly not. We were well down the road for a trip using Plockton as a base, had found nice local hostelries, things to do etc. but then Ms. M did a quick 'what if' and realised that it would be a 10 hour drive or equivalent train journey if, for whatever reason, we were unable to fly there (or back). Looking at historical weather for March/April, there looked to be a substantially higher than 50/50 chance of being stuck on at least one of the legs... so we opted for an alternative trip to Cornwall.
Again, the plan is to fly down, but this time, if the weather looks like it will fail, we will only have a 5 hour drive, which would be a pain but would not put a damper on the whole trip...

Alas, at the moment, the 15 days forecast shows that Easter in Cornwall is unlikely to give much flying joy (marginally better than Scotland though...). :( Fingers crossed it changes!

Morten
Morten wrote:..... so we opted for an alternative trip to Cornwall. ..

.. passing, and maybe stopping at, Staverton ? Plenty of local attractions (which I will forbear to list again :oops: ) .. :)

[ Ja, vi elsker dette landet, .. :thumright: ]
Morten liked this
Iceman wrote:I've looked at the Glenforsa camera every day this week and have seen the blue skies weather there whilst be are freezing our gonads off again down south. I am still contemplating Scotland for Easter as well, but the Wick hotel appears to be full that weekend at the moment so it could be Dornoch and Glenforsa, subject to forecasts nearer the time (I'd be in the non de-iced Robin).

I'll give you a call if I'm coming up Misc.

Iceman 8)

:thumleft:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Iceman
You might recognise the Robin. See you later if you are coming up.

Now that I'm in the land of the living, I can see that the weather is gorgeous outside. A magnificent stag walked up the lawn to the hotel last night; he has been named Rudi :D.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Iceman
A three hour flight yesterday Blackbushe to Glenforsa. An autogyro arrived not long afterward me from Essdfield. I picked up quite a bit of ice in the descent near BRUCE but the flight could have been done easily at low level.

Arrival at Glenforsa.

Brendan has been busy over the winter moving the bar :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
Paul_Sengupta, bogopper liked this