Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By UKflyer
GrahamB wrote:The only person I know who has ditched an aircraft did it on a trip to the Faeroes, running out of fuel due to a headwind stronger than planned.

She turned back and ditched it 400 metres off one of the small northerly Shetlands, and swam to the shore; her pal splashed around unable to make it to shore, but fortunately was picked up by the rescue services.

The AAIB or other report would make very interesting reading. The thing that strikes me is: surely they had a cut-off point? Even at the midway point they'd surely have enough fuel to return with a tailwind..?

MikeB wrote:By coincidence, I've been thinking about a Faroes trip this summer as a first training prep for a future Oshkosh flight.

@UKflyer Would you like another aircraft & aircrew along as company?

Absolutely MikeB, would be a pleasure to join forces!
MikeB, GeorgeJLA liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wick to Reykjavik is 641 nm

Wick to Vagar is 303 nm

When enoute to - from Reykjavik, Vagar was our first alternate, then Hornafture on the SE coast of Iceland, and there is another airfield on the S coastvof Iceland, about 100 nm out from Reykjavik.
By Lockhaven
Lefty wrote:Wick to Reykjavik is 641 nm

Wick to Vagar is 303 nm

When enoute to - from Reykjavik, Vagar was our first alternate, then Hornafture on the SE coast of Iceland, and there is another airfield on the S coastvof Iceland, about 100 nm out from Reykjavik.

There is Vestmannaeyjar airfield BIVM a gravel runway on the island Vestmannaeyjar or Bakki BIBA on the south coast north of the island mentioned above.

Further East along the coast Vik BIVI, Kirkjubaejarklaustur BIKL or Hornafirdi BIHN.
By Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote:Err, dunno. Rule #4 of the piratical code was never to leave the airport confines :oops: :D

OK :thumleft:

I'll stick with my recommendation for Akureyri then for a visit :D

Rob P
By ChampChump
patowalker wrote:
I half slipped into my immersion suit, got airborne and took off heading in the direction of the Faroes. The weather was fine, and 2.5h later I was down safely at Vagar Airport and a man on a stepladder was refuelling the CT.
:)

http://www.microlightflying.org.uk/canada01/

That's one heck of a trip and well worth reading.
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
Christ, reading his story, it really does put the "It's my first time to the IOW / Le Touquet, should I go the long route ?" sort of threads into perspective :shock:.

Iceman 8)
Nick liked this
By Katamarino
GrahamB wrote:The only person I know who has ditched an aircraft did it on a trip to the Faeroes, running out of fuel due to a headwind stronger than planned.

She turned back and ditched it 400 metres off one of the small northerly Shetlands, and swam to the shore; her pal splashed around unable to make it to shore, but fortunately was picked up by the rescue services.

Would that be the lady I met at Rotterdam Flying Club, now flying a Commanche?