Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By smwnet
Have you seen the Aero Expo 2018 page?

So now you have to pay upfront for landing fee when booking.
No refund if you don’t turn up!!

No more booking for each day and checking the weather.

at £20 quid a day & 17quid to drive on anyday, I'm guessing they don’t want aircraft flying in anymore?

from site
You can make changes to your fly-in booking up to 7 June 2018. After that date landing fees on cancelled bookings are non-refundable, but you can still amend your fly-in details.

wonder if you can change the day after the 7th

:o
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I don't know any more than you do, but my guess is that they are charging upfront in order to discourage…

No more booking for each day and checking the weather.

…which effectively means that slots get taken up quickly with up to 1/3rd of them likely never to be used.

Ian
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think they have tried something similar in previous years and then once the realisation kicked in that no-one was going to go they made it free !
By Peter Gristwood
When I got the invitation to pay upfront I pointed out that in case of bad weather I would want a reimbursement. Over the years I've attended 40% of my bookings so the odds are against me.

Last year's event was poor so I won't risk losing an upfront payment

On the other hand I can see the organisers want guaranteed attendances so AeroExpo don't want light GA who are weather dependent. As they say, 'shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke's
By Night Hawk
went to book my slot as normal, seen that wanted landing fee up front with NO REFUND; I have decided along with my 3 guests NOT to go to Aero Expo this year on that basis.

Yes its £20 but its a matter of point, stupid system and if weather is bad; i'd rather keep the £20 and buy lunch and a coffee at my local club.

If numbers were not in decline enough for AeroExpo and then this.

Just my thoughts

NH
Spooky liked this
By johnm
In the great grand scheme of things the "non-returnable deposit" is not significant, but frankly I've been a couple of times and the first one was very interesting the second one reasonably enjoyable as I met lots of people I knew, but now, unless there's something new and interesting, it's not worth the trip.
By seanjd
I have booked and paid and plan on camping under wing :thumleft:

It's a date in my diary that I have made a small financial commitment to. If weather is OK, then I will enjoy the flying with a few more hours experience gained and another airfield visited. For me, it's about enjoying those life experiences, and if I don't get there due to the weather, it's only 20 quid lost. I won't lose any sleep or financial hardship over it :thumright:

Why all the negativity :!:

Lighten up :wink:
Nick, Tim Dawson, rich_g85 and 2 others liked this
By Nick
A certain section of pilots can only blame themselves for this decision. Just look at the LAA Rally and see how many selfish pilots book a slot for every day knowing they will only fly in on one day or perhaps not even bother. If they do decide the WX suits them on one day, they don't cancel the other slots they won't use.
I think this is a good move by Booker and I hope Sywell take note of this and copy them. It makes it fair for those who don't hog all the slots and fair for the airfield who can then rely on some income. :thumleft:

Nick
By mmcp42
I've booked a slot
will drive if wx inclement
will "discuss" parking fee on arrival!
By Grumpy One
I too have booked a slot and paid my hard earned £20.
On Wednesday (17th) I have emailed them using their "tickets@aeroexpo.co.uk" address, asking their intentions as regards to a refund of this £20 in event of weather etc. preventing safe flight. -
To date I have received no reply or even a confirmation of receipt, this is something I consider discourteous.

The large'ish group of pilots at my home base (Bournemouth Rigby International) , have always enjoyed attending the event in the past .
However......... In light of this pre-payment requirement and the seemingly non-refundable aspects, NONE of them have any intention to pay in advance without a cancellation option and have informed me that they are not going to book a slot.

I wonder if the exhibitors, food stalls, fuel providers etc. are aware of this threat to their potential customer numbers.
By peter272
I went to last year's event and was a bit underwhelmed by the number of stalls there, compared with Sywell.

I'll give this year a miss, not necessarily because of the prepayment - though that I think is a mistake - but mainly because I'm AeroExpo'd out. It needs to be a lot better than it was in 2017.
By seanjd
For me it's about the experience and adventure.

Not necessarily the experience of the event, although being aviation related is a bonus and as good as an excuse I need to go flying, but the experience and adventure of planning for the trip, flight there and back and hopefully making some new acquaintances :)

Looking forward to it :)
jerry_atrick liked this
By cirrostratus
Got rather spoiled last year as we went to Aero Friedrichshafen which was brilliant.
Aero at Wycombe was tiny by comparison, with just about enough stalls etc for a couple of hours browsing.....flying in on the friday stayed overnight worked well and they let us fly out mid morning saturday after a bit of pleading ( wx was forecasting CB buildup in the afternoon ).
Wasn't really planning on a return visit this year and with a imposition of a £20 non refundable fee just confirms this, which is a shame and it will deter others...... really cannot see what the organisers hope to gain with this tactic

Might be tempted to see what this one is like .......http://www.skywonder.aero/ in kortrijk, Belgium March 24/25th