Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rats404
CaptChaos wrote:I tend to use RAM Xmount. You can fit the ball unit either permanently or via suction mount and Xmount will grab various sizes of tablet. You can angle to minimise glare and still access connectors.

Wholeheartedly agree. I use a yoke mounted RAM mount for my Nexus tablet, and the ability to tilt and swivel it is very useful when light comes into the cockpit at different angles. This is consumer kit, so doesn't have the brightness/sharpness/anti-glare capabilities of screens designed for aviation applications.

Nice office, btw. :-)

[edited for speeling ;-) ]
Rob P liked this
By madmaveric
If the only thing stopping you permanently fitting one is the lack of wifi, you can use your phone and switch on tethering/hotspot to get the tablet connected to the internet.
Then you have no need for wifi in the hangar or any airfield you are flying to as long as you have a phone signal.

This opens up permanent mounts rather than temporary mounts
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A suggested above, I'd permanently fix a RAM 'ball' to the panel. You can then chop and change the other half of the RAM bit to suit your current and any future device.
By Rob P
Thanks Steve. I do feel I am getting somewhere but...

... if you look at Paul's post above then the third item down looks good, it would mount to the panel, we can have reinfiorcement behind the carbon fibre, then I'd like to clamp one of those spidery holders to it. But the thing is the spidery holder also has a 1" ball, so you can't mount one to the other without an intermediate female/female clamp, which would make the tablet project from the panel.

Has anyone come across a spidery mount with a female backside? :oops:

TheKentishFledgling wrote: ... and see the solution he employs for mounting his tablet. Looks really slick, and emergency "loss of power" option is cool too :D

Now that is brilliant!

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
madmaveric wrote:.... as long as you have a phone signal.

Aye. There's the rub :(

Rob P
The panel mount in the Kitfox video that Kentish Fledgling has suggested is a 'Flypad' mount which I have suggested to you some time ago in a previous thread but you were concerned about it limiting you to a one size tablet. In the video he has just cut a hole in the back of the Flypad mount to take an emergency ASI.
I have one for an IpadMini, it is also available for Android, the beauty is it looks much better than all these sticky out, add-on balls and stuff leaving you with wires hanging if you charge the tablet at some point.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I would go for the classic T layout, the Dynon in the middle, top left ASI top right ALT.

The engine monitor should do its thing quietly and no doubt raise its 'voice* when necessary. So that can go to the RHS.

Ipad to the Engine Monitoring place.

Switches over the circuit breakers you of the way

Radios where the switches are.

G Meter and VSI under ALT and ASI.

Like this?

ImageFrank's panel image by Rob, on Flickr
By Rob P
Shoestring Flyer wrote:... is a 'Flypad' mount

Their website, which used to be www.flypadmount.com doesn't seem to be available

Rob P