Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I do quite a lot of these either microlight holders or SLMG holders to SSEA rating.
Sometimes they have brought a permit aircraft and I will do the training in that but most of the time I do their training in a Cessna.

Am I correct in thinking that post April I will still be able to train them in the Cessna. They will be able to do the NST and GST (if required) and be issued with a SSEA rating?

However after they have been issued their SSEA rating they won't be able to fly the very aircraft that they were tested as being safe in?
My understanding (reliability warning red) being in a similar situation, is that if you pass the test then you log the flight as P1. This you cannot do in an EASA aircraft after the April deadline if you don't have the appropriate EASA licence. So if you pass the test (P1) then the flight isn't valid for the aircraft you just did the test in, whereas if you fail the test (Pu/t) then it is. Simples?
I do hope my understanding is incorrect, otherwise the situation is very silly.
Fortunately I can fly my required training and test in Annex 2 aircraft. :thumright:

IC
Bathman wrote:However after they have been issued their SSEA rating they won't be able to fly the very aircraft that they were tested as being safe in?

Personally I think it stinks. The fact that someone might have been quite happily pottering around in say a Cessna 150 for the last 20 or 30 years and had been told when they bought their licence that they could do this for the rest of their life, to suddenly now be told - “oh you can’t do this anymore unless you pay us 74 quid” - borders on the verge of extortion and I feel should have legal consequences. If they wanted to introduce new licences for administrative reasons then the conversion should be free for existing licence holders where their privileges have been downgraded through no fault of their own.

It’s like the DVLA telling me - “after April you can continue to drive your wife’s Morris Minor, that’s fine - but if you want to drive your Peugeot you need to pay us 74 quid”. I’d say p@@@ off....!

What might they do next year, or 5 years time, or 15 years time? Extract some more cash out of us for no reason? They’ve got us by the danglies.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cost: For those who can convert, it isn't just 70 odd quid to get an easa licence even if they have a nppl ssea now, they would need a lapl medical (3 figures?) as they are likely to be on a self declare.
neaton liked this
JonBoy , 'Fraid the DVLA did just that .....
Had a paper licence until aged 70 .... Moved house , change address . '' You must buy a new plastic licence from us , but it's still until 70 '' ....... '' PS , Oh by the way , it's only valid for 10 years ! '' Then you'll have to buy Another licence valid until 70 '' !
Won't get to 70 on this one .

Licenced , or Highway robbery .

rgds condor .
By Dave W
Known about for those that diligently subscribe to magazines and read internet forums, certainly. But not everybody does that*.

Also, that doesn't make it fair or reasonable.

For something this fundamental, the CAA really should have contacted everyone if they couldn't find a way to equitably bypass the problem.

But no, a CYA letter to everyone half a dozen years ago saying "Things are getting complicated, and may make no logical sense whatsoever, so research this stuff yourselves somehow: We intend to to tell you nothing directly from now on".

*This may come as a shock, Ian. :D
cockney steve liked this
By Irv Lee
Dave W wrote: We intend to to tell you nothing directly from now on".

Trouble is from sometime last year they started giving really really bad but legally correct advice when asked. Two or three pilots phoned me to check what they had been told, so who knows how many did not phone me up. Basically all of their questions could have been answered with "Your current non easa licence is perfectly good for what you want to do, the self declare free medical too, you just need (xyz) ..." (where xyz was something like differences training, or a rating renewal, etc ). Every one was answered with "Convert to an easa licence, to do so you must get an easa medical, then you must (xyz) .... ".
Each time they were confronted with how the pilot could have done something much much cheaper and much much quicker, (but no revenue to caa) there was zero embarrassment and certainly zero apology, just "yes that would be legal too". This seems to have started last summer or the first guy to phone me to check such advice was then.
Europaul383 liked this