Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
[quote="Lefty"The DIY size gauge is particularly interesting. :oops: :lol:[/quote]

Cripes , how embarrassing would that be , buying one over the counter. Especially if being served by a fetching young female.
Considering the OAT's likely when using one of them things , I'll definitely be ordering mine by mail-order. :oops:........... :lol:
idlelayabout liked this
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pilot Pete wrote:What I took from it, was that with very little input they managed an uneventful flight from Wick to Shoreham mostly in sunshine above cloud IFR (not IMC).

Under SERA, I think most of their flight was above 3000' amsl and vertically within 1000' of cloud, so it was most definitely IMC.
By Dave W
Ah, @Chris Martyr, a reminder of old WW2 apocrypha. :-)

The fib goes thus:

During the War condoms were used to protect gun barrels during shipping and non-use periods.

This was so effective that Winston Churchill ordered thousands to be manufactured that were 3 times normal size in order to accommodate the quite large barrels of military weapons. It is said that in order to demoralise the Germans, Winston also ordered each package to be labelled "One Condom. Made in England. Medium size".

How's that for forum thread drift?
T67M wrote:
Pilot Pete wrote:What I took from it, was that with very little input they managed an uneventful flight from Wick to Shoreham mostly in sunshine above cloud IFR (not IMC).

Under SERA, I think most of their flight was above 3000' amsl and vertically within 1000' of cloud, so it was most definitely IMC.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My intention wes to reference that they were having an enjoyable flight mainly in sunshine courtesy of the privileges of the IR.
(Which I would love to get one day soon)
By nallen
Dave W wrote:During the War condoms were used to protect gun barrels during shipping and non-use periods.

This was so effective that Winston Churchill ordered thousands to be manufactured that were 3 times normal size in order to accommodate the quite large barrels of military weapons. It is said that in order to demoralise the Germans, Winston also ordered each package to be labelled "One Condom. Made in England. Medium size".

That's how to show foreigner johnny.
Charles Hunt, idlelayabout, Dusty_B and 1 others liked this
Dave W wrote:Ah, @Chris Martyr, a reminder of old WW2 apocrypha. :-)

The fib goes thus:

During the War condoms were used to protect gun barrels during shipping and non-use periods.

How's that for forum thread drift?

:D Definitely 'Thread Drift of the Week'......... :thumright:

And from one of the Moderators too.....[ :o ]
TLRippon wrote:The USA is apparently number 1 at thinking they are the best. :lol:

met many Russians ? :)

[where another common national trait is a conviction that they are also the most abused, misunderstood, and threatened by all their neighbours .. :roll: .. but they can often be delightful. Perhaps many people in most or all nations share either or both of these characteristics, though :oops: OK, perhaps not Canadians :thumright: ]
skydriller liked this
kanga wrote:met many Russians ? :) ]

Well , I have to say Kanga , since that old wall came down , they've certainly shown themselves as being proficient in many areas...[ :D ]

Very safe drivers.
Excellent contacts within the world organised crime .
Good credit card scamming skills.
Exquisite manners when in restaurants.
Great looking hookers.

They seem to have fallen behind a bit in sport though don't they ? After having been such world leaders in experimental medicine and LGBT matters for so many decades.

[ :lol: ]
Chris Martyr wrote:

Well , I have to say Kanga , since that old wall came down , they've certainly shown themselves as being proficient in many areas...[ :D ]

Very safe drivers.
Great looking hookers.

They seem to have fallen behind a bit in sport though don't they ? After having been such world leaders in experimental medicine and LGBT matters for so many decades.

You forgot to mention accountants and mail order brides. I know 3 blokes who got mail order brides from Russia and 2 of those brides said they were accountants; what a co-incidence :clown:
chevvron wrote:
Chris Martyr wrote:

Very safe drivers.
Great looking hookers.

You forgot to mention accountants and mail order brides. I know 3 blokes who got mail order brides from Russia and 2 of those brides said they were accountants; what a co-incidence :clown:

So they are already well qualified for the divorce settlement :lol:
Miscellaneous, Nick liked this
As a UK ATCO a very interesting take on what we know is a lack of comprehension of foreign pilots operating outside of CAS by which I mean even commercial pilots are totally confused by the ATC services available in UK Class G airspace. Thoroughly enjoyed the film and will use some of it in our Refresher Training as a good illustration of some of the issues at the other end of the radio.
Lockhaven wrote:So they are already well qualified for the divorce settlement :lol:

Don't they cut out the middle-man and just help themselves to the "divorce settlement" prior to meeting the on-line mug..[ :clown: ]

Apologies also to Vtr1000 , that was a valiant attempt to bring the thread back onto topic. As it's good to see it from the ATCO's point of view.... :thumright:
Considering the tender years of those lads and the fact that they appeared totally unfazed by most of it , it does rather suggest that an understanding from both sides is a good thing.

I mean,,,they aren't the first people in aviation history who have muttered to themselves , "what on earth did he just say" , in response to an ATC transmission.

As Vtr1000 suggests , there's more than one dimension here .
PaulB, Nick liked this
By PeteSpencer
Chris Martyr wrote:
I mean,,,they aren't the first people in aviation history who have muttered to themselves , "what on earth did he just say" , in response to an ATC transmission.

As Vtr1000 suggests , there's more than one dimension here .

Works both ways: I understand US ATCers have a nickname for Air France pilots - 'Keskidis' - because they are frequently heard on rapid-fire R/T exchanges in US muttering 'Qu'est-ce qu'il dit?'

Peter
TLRippon wrote:
The standard response to a foreigner making any criticism of anything American is to suggest they keep it to themselves, except often not so politely.

I tend to agree with the Americans on this, and I've lived there for a number of years. The amount of uninformed, holier-than-thou Carp that's spouted from outside the USA about US issues is pathetic; this forum being an offender too. PPRuNe is even worse, the idiots there spouting off about US matters like they're the font of all knowledge while also proudly declaring they've never even been to the US are pitiful.
Kittyhawk liked this
By Kittyhawk
Having watched all the videos of their Atlantic crossing, I found them really well done and engaging. I have always wanted to fly to the US in a light aircraft and never managed to do it, maybe one day. It was interesting to see places like Kulusuk and Iqualuit.

To have flown solo round the world at the age of 19 as Matt did, is pretty impressive, despite the comments from certain people here on the lines of 'You just steer 090 and put the autopilot on'..
The references to them being morons because they didn't quite get UK ATSOCAS seemed a bit curmudgeonly. It's not like any British pilots ever cross the channel and keep asking French ATC for a Basic service is it ?...

I couldn't help thinking back to 1944 and how there would have been hundreds of young Americans of that age making the same crossing in B24s and B17s, seeing the Northern Lights, Greenland and Iceland and within weeks meeting a fiery end over Germany.
patowalker, kanga, Chris Martyr and 8 others liked this