Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I'd like to spend a week or so in Italy with my better half, this summer, and rent a light aircraft (a C172, or similar) for a couple of days. I'm struggling to find much in the way of online information about what's available.

We were thinking about staying in Salerno, renting an aircraft and flying down the coast to Catania, then flying back the next day.

Has anyone done something similar? I realise I'll have to get checked out before renting, as is normally the case.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We stopped over in Salerno twice in June 2017.
There does appear to be an aero club with at least 2-3 club aircraft parked outside of it. We were parked on the tarmac facing the Flying club.

We didn’t go into the club, and we didn’t see very much Flying going on, although we were midweek.

Suggest you email the Airport (email address in SkyDemon and / or the Italian AIP). and ask for contact details of the aero club.
Alternatively , Flying Eagle May respond and might be able to put in a call on your behalf.
By Tomahawker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I fear you may find this very tricky., if not impossible. G.A. in Southern Italy seems almost non-existent. Visiting regularly over past few years, but online clubs do not seem to answer. Have visited personally Lamezia and Reggio, knocked on doors but found no one around, and very few GA types visible around the aprons. A few microlight types occasionally fly over our little apartment, and paragliders can be seen too sometimes, but very, very few Pipers and the like up in the blue skies above :( Would be great if you can find any more positive news...