Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Lefty I assume you imply AI otherwise I'm not sure where you might be taking this :-)
By cotterpot
Assuming I entered IMC in a trimmed aircraft, airspeed could be an indication that something is going wrong but other instruments would also back that up, so not sure.

Could also be the DI so you can get back out again.
By David Wood
Lefty wrote:I’ll ask my favourite question.
If you find yourself in unexpected IMC - what is absolutely the most important instrument in your aircraft?
This is the instrument without which, you will almost certainly die.

The one between your ears.... with which to interpret the ones in front of your eyes. :lol:
By GrahamB
Assuming no IFR GPS on board ...

Altimeter.

Revise that - Tablet running SD set to Track Up?
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick w liked this
By johnm
Your brain is not an instrument and I don't fancy IMC flying without an AI or turn coordinator & altimeter
By rikur_
Lefty wrote:I’ll ask my favourite question.
If you find yourself in unexpected IMC - what is absolutely the most important instrument in your aircraft?
This is the instrument without which, you will almost certainly die.

I'm guessing 'unexpected' is a key part of the question?
Still not sure though, I'm fairly sure I've had everything individually obscured at some point of the IMCR training - and have had AI fail for real (very hard work).
By Lefty
The answer is at the end of this short, but true story.

Training for my IMC Rating at Booker c 1978.

During the pre-brief the instructor asked me this question. I rationalise about the primary and secondary data you can get from the AI, T&S, DI, ASI etc. Instructor promptly clips me round the back of my head and tells me I know nothing - and he will teach me in the air.

Lined up on Booker’s runway 24, and I put the Hood on (Before takeoff) - and did the takeoff fully under the hood using the DI, (as this instructor insisted on).

We spend 30 minutes flying around under the hood, with the instructor giving me “ATC style” instructions whilst gradually covering up all the instruments in turn.

I’m sitting there thinking “this is easy, I’ve got this sussed” when the instructor tells me I can take to hood off - and then tell him which instrument is the most important.

When I looked up, I found that we were at approx 50ft agl, flying up a valley that closed in a few hundred yards ahead. (Near Chinoor and the Stokenchurch mast)
I simultaneously applied full power, pulled back into a steep climb and shouted .........
“Altimeter George - Altimeter !”

A lesson hard learned, is one well learned. Since then I’ve always been a big fan of Altimeters and knowing the SSA.

Perhaps quite relevant after last week’s tragedy at Brecon Hill.

So Graham B was the only one to guess the right answer. (Isn’t he supposed to be at work at this time of the day)? :D
skydriller, kanga, GrahamB liked this
By GrahamB
Lefty wrote:(Isn’t he supposed to be at work at this time of the day)? :D

Smartphones and boring meetings make a great combination.