Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marioair
Looking to make the most of the Ipad split screen mode and get as paperless as I dare- what checklist app do folks recommend?
By Dusty_B
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
None. Make a better paper checklist! One page, A5/A4 as suits your cockpit, laminated. (Abnormal and Emergency lists may need to be longer, so be it, you rarely use them anyway - but they need to be easy to navigate and read).

Swiping between apps and pages of text could be a hell of a distraction when picking up a sheet of paper is a lot quicker.
By marioair
I have a paper checklist already :)

I think you're confusing an abbreviated checklist/aide memoir which would fit on a piece of A5/4 but I'd be impressed for you to fit a full aircraft checklist (preflight, starting, approach, landing, shutdown, emergencies) all on one or even two pages of A4!
By jamespearce
I have devised, printed and laminated a two sided card which is attached to my kneeboard with rings but I actually use the PDF version of my checklist installed on my Garmin 795 in the documents folder.
By IhaveBeenThere
Mine is a note pad size laminated card that which simply slides in and out from underneath the front panel. Just slides on strips of narrow plastic channels fixed to the bottom of the panel - I've forgotten how. Gets the checklist out of the way but is readily available. Keep the words for each item to a minimum, one if possible more as a memory reminder, and then there is enough room on one side of paper.

RunwayHD has an electronic one if that's want you want..
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I run GoodNotes on the RHS of my large format iPad Pro, with SD running on the left., resting on my lap as an A4 kneeboard.

I've made up a PDF of a basic form I use for recording times/fuel log/ ATIS,/clearances etc. using an Apple pencil. On a long trip I'll import other stuff so I have a 'pack' ready of the basic form, blank pages for notes, instrument plates, taxi diagrams, all readily accessible with a few swipes.

You could easily make up a Checkist and import it into GoodNotes, but this would only work if you have a Pro and compatible pencil.
By marioair
Merlin83b wrote:To answer the question as asked, I use an app called Checklist+ which works split-screen with SkyDemon very well.

I had a look at Checklist+ the only thing that troubles me as I can't see a way of making it "read only" e.g. stopping you accidentally deleting an item mid flight!
By Grelly
I haven't got a clear idea of what you expect an electronic checklist to do for you.

At the simplest level, can't you knock up a check list in Word and save it as a PDF? Or are you expecting press a tick button for each item? Something else?
By Balliol
A single A4 laminated sheet is quite possible to cover all the checks for experienced pilots - we have those for most types alongside the more traditional 'expanded checklist' for students and type conversions etc..

[Personally speaking] I cannot fathom why anyone would want to have the faff of more staring and **** at screens for something as simple as a checklist in a single pilot simple type. Paper is easily accessible, easy to use and doesn't suffer from potential equipment failures.
By mmcp42
I made mine in Word (transcribed from the POH)
printed it out A5
plastic bound so it doesn't crumple
couple of holes with a hole punch
and it sits on my kneeboard :)
By rats404
FWIW, I'm a big fan of technology in the cockpit (SD, PCAS etc.) but I'd always prefer to have a physical laminated checklist - doesn't answer the question, but just voicing an opinion.
By jamespearce
rats404 wrote:FWIW, I'm a big fan of technology in the cockpit (SD, PCAS etc.) but I'd always prefer to have a physical laminated checklist - doesn't answer the question, but just voicing an opinion.

You can have both. That's my preference. Just like I love to use my GPS for navigation but would not consider a longer route without lines being drawn on a physical map and running a plog.
rats404 liked this