Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Arrow IV
... well not quite but I've seen all kinds of ways that people close the strap (and the knots the result when you use a different method and have to fiddle it through all kinds of metal pieces).

So: is there a most appropriate way of closing the waist strap?

Let's assume for simplicity sake it's the standard GA life vest, i.e, pulled over like a backpack, gas inflate on rope pull, belt-like strap going around the waist and closed in the front "somehow". Something like this https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/life-jackets-c160/v-one-seamax-professional-aircrew-lifejacket-p3166/s3461
Rob L liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My lifejackets have a metal link at each end of the waist strap which interlink with a satisfying 'clunk'.

The crotch strap then swings up from behind to click into a plastic buckle.

I know not of the fiddling and the knots of which you speak.

Peter :thumleft:
By ChampChump
Looking at your link, the closure appears to have but one way to operate. Any variation would seem to take some pretty creative thinking.
By mmcp42
cockney steve wrote:When you design something that's "foolproof", a more sophisticated strain of fools rapidly emerges.

well to be fair they do outnumber us :)
cockney steve liked this
By GolfHotel
mmcp42 wrote:
cockney steve wrote:When you design something that's "foolproof", a more sophisticated strain of fools rapidly emerges.

Do we? or are we just more effective as us is more sofistitkeated.
By GolfHotel
mmcp42 wrote:

Do we? or are we just more effective as us is more sofistitkeated.
By Paul_Sengupta
I have two lifejackets. One had the metal buckle as mentioned, the other had a plastic clip, like on the straps on an aeroplane cover. I always give my passengers the one with the plastic clip as it's fairly foolproof. The one with the metal buckle isn't immediately obvious to someone who's never seen one before.
By Pete L
When did Ryanair start hiding the lifejacket in the overhead? Or is that a modern Boeing feature? (I'm perhaps not the only paranoid person that wants to check if the lifejacket is still present :oops: ).
By kanga
Pete L wrote:When did Ryanair start hiding the lifejacket in the overhead? ...

they only carry one per aircraft, now ? Is it auctioned when the imminent ditching is declared ? :)
Pete L, Nick, Stu B liked this
By Crash one

I completely wasted 40 years of my working life designing things to be foolproof., with no success.
I am now a retired complete failure, and very happy to be so.
kanga, cockney steve liked this