Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
There are countless threads on here and elsewhere where we argue about how we should navigate (VFR or IFR) and what happens if the GPS goes down or the iPad battery runs out - indeed is GPS primary or only a backup to a bit of paper with lines drawn on it.

So..... If we were to start with a completely blank piece of paper, how would we design a navigation system fit for the next century that is accurate, reliable (or what back ups would we need), affordable and usable by all (CAT & GA)?

Part of navigation is altitude.... if the Pitot / static system didn't exist, what would we invent today.

I guess an alternate (and perhaps easier) question might be that we are where we are and GPS is here but needs a failsafe - if we didn't have NDBs and DMEs (but had to invent them) what would we invent?
matthew_w100 wrote:Whats the lowest you can fly across the oceans and still have line of sight to land?

Quite high if this point is the furthest from land

http://grist.org/article/point-nemo-is- ... ter-space/
So..... If we were to start with a completely blank piece of paper

No need for that in my opinion.

GNSS satellites served by several providers (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, Beidou etc) along with ground based augmentation served by several systems (WAAS, EGNOS, SDCM, SDAS, etc) has it all covered.

Main thing is to have more than one GPS receiver in board that is powered by different power sources.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For my money there's little to beat GPS as a primary navigation system for either VFR or IFR.

As a back up I suspect a structure which would allow a version of DME to be received anywhere on planet earth might be a sensible approach. Two or three DME signals would allow a fairly accurate position to be calculated. The boxes we use for GPS could be adapted quite easily to use multiple DME or GPS as available.

For relatively local trips a map and sight of visual features is manageable, but otherwise not a lot of use in these days of complex airspace and that is going to get more not less of an issue in Europe.
Well, I know they've got quantum INS systems working and it's only a matter of time before they shrink the equipment necessary to cool the atoms (or whatever clever stuff the boffins do). You could have 5 IRSs in a matchbox, all cross-checking each other and absolutely no need for any external assistance. For those who like to have back-ups to back-ups, go and buy two of those matchboxes, run them off different power sources and have 10 IRSs :shock:

You did say future and this is not so very far away :wink:

In the nearer future, an EFIS (with it's own GPS) and an iPad Mini with Sky Demon is MORE than sufficient.
I have 3 GPS receivers when I fly.

The built-in Garmin, my iPad, and my iPhone. I also have a Powermonkey charger to keep the Apple devices topped up.

Failing all that I have VOR/DME.

Failing that I use radar services for navigational assistance.

Failing that I look out the window.
Bobcro liked this