Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oh no, you mentioned trains and this causes me to post again!

I used to use train fares as a justification to fly.
So I’d find out how much it would cost to get there by train.
Then I would estimate the amount it would cost to fly there.
Subtract the train fare from the flight cost and divide it by the flight time and you fly cheaper...

Then there was the time I had to visit Bournemouth Hurn to look at Airbus 310 wing leading edges.
The Condor has a 3.3 litre engine and so I got something like 15p a mile petrol allowance. Good enough, I drove to Redhill, flew to Bournemouth, and night stopped there. The Condor slept in the hangar under a BAC 1-11.

Next day I was to drive to Chester, but instead, flew back to Redhill, took a day off, and then took the trusty Viva HA up there. The miserable lot at Hawarden wouldn’t let me commute into the airfield so they could bloody well wait for my services.

I bought a Spitfire MKIV so ferried the Viva back to Redhill. Costed out the train to Chester, and deducted this from the cost of flying TLB back, and having a friend return the Jodel to the Tiger Club. ‘Landed in a farmer’s field, hopped the fence, walked a quarter mile into work, and did some overtime, it was a Sunday :)

You can always find an economic argument for your passion.
By Grumpy One
jamespearce wrote: "getting aloft" is not the painful bit. :cry:

Pearcey , me olde chum, me olde mucker........ :thumleft:
If I publically agree with your comment AND if I show you my 'gyro' scars, will you then let me into your airstrip ? :pirat:

Just askin' (again!!)
I trundle along at 130Kts and it is never fast enough. I used to be one of the faster ones in my group of flying friends, now I am the slowest. Never happier than when I have a hurricane force tailwind, a long descent and the GS touches 200Kts.
I see a Turboprop in my future.
By ChampChump
Whatever speed I'm doing, if things sound about right and the planning is on the conservative side, I'm happy. I have a 70kt brain, at best. Funnily enough, the Champ chugs along between oh, 60 and 70kts . The journey is at least as important as the destination, sometimes moreso.

If I HAD to give up the Champ, I'd be looking for another one.
Shoestring Flyer, Nick liked this
By johnm
No onboard pilot?

They'd be bonkers to have one, the cost and complexity added would be enormous for zero added benefit these days.
By Wide-Body
Human Factor wrote:
Wide-Body wrote:The mach 8 is what I would like. Sadly in reality we have to put a decimal point in front of it. Sadly nothing with SABRE engines are ready yet.

... and the Chang will go as fast as the RV8. Just not for very long.... :cry:

And only when it’s serviceable. :twisted: