Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Picking up on one of the other threads about renewal of an IMCR/IR(R) I was wondering how often people feel that they need to fly approaches in order to consider themselves 'current' - or at least sufficiently current to feel that they could fly an unplanned approach safely in the event that they needed to do so.
By 2Donkeys
The FAA is not a bad source of inspiration on instrument currency. How about this as a starting point?

FAA wrote:Instrument experience.

Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought --

At least six instrument approaches;

Holding procedures; and

Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.
James Chan liked this
By Lefty
I agree with 2D's. If you don't do an approach of some sort at least once per month, then you are unlikely to be 100% current.

This is perhaps one reason why places (in the south) like Gloucester, Cambridge, Lydd and (dare I say it) Shoreham are popular lunch destinations as they allow those who wish to, to practice and log another instrument approach. (Plus Cherbourg, Calais Le Touquet Deauville and the Channel Islands). Don't forget that your IR(R) is valid for real IFR approaches in the Channel Islands.
By johnm
I try and fly sim if I'm rusty, it's the scan rather than flying ability that goes I find and a sim is quite a good way to get that going again.
By CloudHound
And which type of approach do you pick?

ILS or LOC/DME would seem sensible as you might need a 'port in a storm'. There are quite a few RNAV(GNSS) approaches available, even if only LNAV non-precision. The way one flies them does underpin the actions for LPV to a lower minimum so value in that too.

Anyone for a QGH?
By Merlin83b
Mix it up! I tend to do something else elsewhere and a radar vectored ILS on return to base (Liverpool) as they're reasonably busy with airliners. Though in cockpit, the difference between one precision approach and another, and one non-precision approach and another isn't that great. Just follow the needles ;)
Last edited by Merlin83b on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By davelee212
I've not done an instrument approach for about 7 months (my IR(R) flight test) which really isn't good and I should do something about it - maybe a New Year resolution? :)

I've been rereading stuff and praticing on RANT and flight sim the last week or two so feel back up to speed. My plan this weekend a couple of holds and ILS at Southend then onto Lydd for the DME arc and ILS (oh, and lunch!). Well... provided the weather is good enough that I'm not practicing in actual IMC given it's been 7 months since I did it.

My plan is to hopefully do at least one instrument approach every couple of months. The reality is, I tend to go places that don't have them so not sure how achievable that is!

Edit: Southend would be my closest divert if the home base wasn't an option, so I guess it'd be NDB holds and ILS that I'd need to be current in. No GPS in the club aircraft I fly so the other options at Southend aren't an option right now - for me anyway.

Dave
By TLRippon
You don’t actually have to fly an approach to practice some of the skills required while going about your every day VFR flying. I notice that a lot of these threads follow a theme of not flying like you are in IMC until you actually need to.

How about:

Set an altitude and actually fly it consistently.
Plan to be at an exact place when you descend through a precise altitude every time you make an approach, visual or not.
If you have a certified GPS, why not intercept an OBS course to every runway you approach or if they have an ILS use it to verify a visual approach.
Plan an exact time to be at points along the route and slow down or speed up to meet them.
Track as many beacons as you pass enroute.
If you have time on your hands fix a point and hold around.

Most importantly, if you are asked which type of approach you want ask them for whatever Instrument one they have and don’t automatically default to visual. I know I did that for years but now default to ILS or GNSS.
I do about 20 approaches a year about half of which have no visual alternative. I was bumping around 10 between IRR tests until I changed the visual habit.
By pplmeir
While doing approaches for real is the best, if you find the practicalities, cost of doing those a consideration, there is a lot of value in practice on a flight sim such as xplane (even if you cant log it). You can connect it to skydemon on your ipad also so it helps your inflight ipad skills also.