Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Presumably drone's would be ideal for resolving this issue. They're not going to get blinded, and could latch onto the source of the laser and provide video / coordinates for those on the ground to act upon.
By skydriller
If landing aeroplanes are being targeted, presumably at low level near airports, not sure if sending up drones into close proximity is such a great idea... guess it would depend upon altitude differentials etc.

Regards, SD..
By rikur_
Keeping in mind that these would be 'good guy' drones, I would have thought you could operate in close enough proximity whilst maintaining adequate separation.
The suggested locations of Sheldon or Yardley are 1km - 1.5km off the centreline - so sticking the drone about half-way between the centreline and the suspect area would appear feasible to my limited understanding of the issues.
By Gertie
Jonzarno wrote:
rikur_ wrote:Presumably drone's would be ideal for resolving this issue. They're not going to get blinded, and could latch onto the source of the laser and provide video / coordinates for those on the ground to act upon.

Some drones carry Hellfire missiles. Cuts out the middle man....... :thumright:

Systems that spot incoming lasers and autonomously fire off missiles at the source must be off-the-shelf items, surely?
Gertie wrote:
Jonzarno wrote:
rikur_ wrote:Presumably drone's would be ideal for resolving this issue. They're not going to get blinded, and could latch onto the source of the laser and provide video / coordinates for those on the ground to act upon.

Some drones carry Hellfire missiles. Cuts out the middle man....... :thumright:

Systems that spot incoming lasers and autonomously fire off missiles at the source must be off-the-shelf items, surely?

If not, there’s a marketing opportunity. I know this bloke in North Korea..... This time next year, Rodney, we could be millionaires.......... :lol:
Nick liked this
Colonel Panic wrote:In my limited experience, fines tend to be fixed by the ability to pay them, so the making them unlimited in this case will PROB95 have very little real effect other than grabbing a headline or two for a day or three.

That is absolutely correct. Fines are calculated with reference to a persons income as declared to the court. Like it or not, (I expect the latter), that's the reality of the law of the land
By PaulB
Surely the issue is not so much the size of the penalty but the likelihood of getting caught.

If you knew that every time you did this (or indeed, anything else) that there was a high likelihood that you'd be caught and convicted, then a smaller fine would be a deterrent.

The consequences of being caught using a mobile phone whilst driving are quite high, yet I see it happening *every time* I drive anywhere.