Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Personally I tend to decide on the flight whether I'd like to transit a Class D...either because I listen out and see if the traffic can easily accommodate it, or because I'm short of time before sunset +30 and want to take a shortcut.
In the latter case I certainly wouldn't want to log onto the internet and waste 10 mins of daylight!

My flying is pretty much divided into two types:

1. Local Bimble/Skills practice flying - for these flights I generally stay out of controlled airspace, squawk 7000 and dont talk to anyone other than to confirm activity of local restricted areas (of which there are many local to me).

2. Going somewhere - for these flights I plan as direct a route as possible and will ask for clearances as required through airspace en-route. For these flights if I needed to file a flight plan to get the clearance I needed, I would and it wouldnt really be a large burden to do so* - especially if I was assured of a clearance...but this would imply a joined up ATC/airspace service...

*However, not having to do so is a freedom I enjoy using and dont think a private company should be allowed to mandate a separate system for their own little bits of controlled airspace because they wish save money/maximize profit by installing a system that isnt perhaps working as they thought it would...

Regards, SD..
Nick, Rob P liked this
By G-JWTP
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Well it's a good start. If it sounds like the controller is working like a one armed paper hanger then there's no point in even asking.

Not the point Paul.

If you've sent in the prior request they know you're coming.

Just because they appear busy does not mean they cannot accommodate you.

Airspace management by exclusion is unacceptable.

G-JWTP
By James Chan

But airspace management without the ability to say “wait - we’re full here” and thus allowing every aircraft in and to be put on a collision course with each other is also unacceptable.

That’s not management. It’s negligence.
Last edited by James Chan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben K, Hawkwind liked this
G-JWTP wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Well it's a good start. If it sounds like the controller is working like a one armed paper hanger then there's no point in even asking.

Not the point Paul.

If you've sent in the prior request they know you're coming.

Just because they appear busy does not mean they cannot accommodate you.

G-JWTP

So if I was to call up Heathrow's Class D and request a crossing...it's unacceptable if I don't get what I want?
went to Lydd today
filed transit requests with Luton for outbound and inbound
even though Luton was busy I got transit approved without delay

they did ask if the portal asked me to provide a preferred route as they just get
- registration
- type
- departure airfield
- destination airfield
I confirmed that's all there was on the web site

return was even better as on first call they remembered my details (think it was the same chap!)
again immediate clearance "not above 2000' "

would I use the service again
definitely :thumleft:
GonzoEGLL, kanga, T67M and 4 others liked this
I think the whole thing is a typical NATS 'knee jerk' reaction; they've done it several times in the past.
They commit themselves to rolling out EFPS (electronic instead of paper strips) to all NATS units asap.
When they run an evalution, they've suddenly twigged that not all flights wishing to work NATS units actually file flight plans.
Workload at some units eg Zone control/LARS is found to be such that the controllers haven't got a hope of copying down all the required info and entering it on the electronic display.
They want to reduce controller workload by being able to prepare details of zone crossers in advance, so rather than having an assistant plugged in to enter the details on behalf of the controller (as I believe they did at Lon Mil) they request you pass details in advance initially on a 'trial' basis they say. Yeah LARS was a 'trial' for about 20 years then the word 'trial' was quietly dropped from the title.
They'll probably extend this to wanting you to pass your details to Farnborough in advance if you anticipate using London LARS.
Last edited by chevvron on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Dave W
Earlier in the thread somebody said NATS are damned if they do and damned if they don't, and you've just made that point again.

How is a trial a "knee jerk reaction"?
GonzoEGLL liked this
GonzoEGLL wrote:That’s one of the things that being evaluated. If there are enough requests being filed that don’t occur in reality, I imagine that some way of cancellation will appear.

I see you're flagged as 'banned' on the 'other' forum. Don't know what you've done to deserve that; I was only put on 'special measures ' for a week or so.
It's due to my profile pic, I got it just after the other place started as a website, when you had to make a contribution to the 'other place' pilot training fund that was used as a busary for PPLs/ATPLs etc.

When Photobucket demanded payment, they stopped linking to the pic and instead showed a 'you need to pay Photobucket' image.

There is no way for me to stop displaying the profile pic, I have repeatedly contacted the admins to alert them that I can't do anything about it, and of course have not had any response.

Now they've banned me for displaying a non-standard profile pic. :|