Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ben J
Hello, I don’t know if this is the right place but I cannot find an answer anywhere.

I am looking to get a PPL (private pilot licence) but want to know if there are any jobs to do with a ppl.

For example I was looking at courier of parcels in a GA Aircraft and was wondering if that is posssible to do with a private pilots licence.

Thanks in advance
By ak7274
Nope. None. Nada. Zilch.
Any paid for flying requires a CPL. There are some exceptions, but I wouldn't bother looking into them.
Now I have said that, I just bet you do and there are plenty on here willing to tell you how.
Yes.

There is no microlight commercial licence, so virtually all microlight instructors have PPL + FI.

If you have other non-pilot skills, accountancy, engineering, etc. also there are non flying jobs across aviation where (so long as you are also good at your basic job of course) a PPL may well make you the preferred candidate because it shows strong sympathy and understanding with the aviation community. Once in a while you might then get the odd task of delivering an aeroplane or checking a new radio works - on the strict understanding that this isn't your job as such.

But if you want to fly larger (than microlight) aeroplanes for a living, no, you'll need a CPL.

G
Dodo wrote:With a PPL and an instructor rating, you can now be paid for giving flying instruction for a PPL or a LAPL.
(I think).

Indeed you can, I should have mentioned that also.

G
By chevvron
The OP, who only joined this morning, is obviously thinking he can do a 'pizza delivery' type thing where the law allows people with provisional licences to deliver pizzas by moped and get paid for it, something which personally I think should be banned
jerry_atrick, townleyc liked this
By Europaul383
Glider towing, parachute dropping (smaller DZs with C206 or similar, not Caravan/Islander/LET410 etc). Not paid (unless CPL) but “free” flying.... subject to minimum hours and check/test.
By chevvron
Aeronco wrote:Banning pizzas? You'll wake up with the horses head!

No just banning inexperienced delivery riders who haven't passed their driving test and have no intention of even taking one. :twisted:
Last edited by chevvron on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am looking to get a PPL (private pilot licence) but want to know if there are any jobs to do with a ppl.

No is the answer, the VERY small number of exceptions (mentioned above) wouldn't earn you a living, but might generate some limited extra cash alongside a real job.
By Aeronco
chevvron wrote:

No just banning inexperienced delivery riders who haven't passed their driving test and have no intention of even taking one.

It was just a silly quip dear boy. If I wanted to say something serious then I'd have suggested the OP sign up to wingly or one of the other cost sharing outfits looking for a smoking hole. Appears to be legal, at least until the first nasty pile up.
By chevvron
Aeronco wrote:
chevvron wrote:

No just banning inexperienced delivery riders who haven't passed their driving test and have no intention of even taking one :twisted: .

It was just a silly quip dear boy. If I wanted to say something serious then I'd have suggested the OP sign up to wingly or one of the other cost sharing outfits looking for a smoking hole. Appears to be legal, at least until the first nasty pile up.

I too forgot a smiley.
By chevvron
johnm wrote:

No is the answer, the VERY small number of exceptions (mentioned above) wouldn't earn you a living, but might generate some limited extra cash alongside a real job.

If it's hour building he wants, I know a PPL who payed for extra hours then funded an ATPL Course by FISOing at an airfield, and when not FISOing he worked refuelling and Fire Crew.
He'll be getting his captaincy on 757s soon.
Charles Hunt liked this