Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:
but were you paid for doing so? and paid means cash value more than the cost of the flight?

It used to be, dont know if it is still so, that you were not able to do any flying for 'valuable consideration#

IIRC a helicopter otfit was prosecuted for having their helicopter with logo and name prominently on Show in a TC Clip.
By chevvron
matthew_w100 wrote:I cannot believe that if you've passed a CBT and delivered pizza for a fortnight you wouldn't be able to pass the test to get a full licence. What stops people - is it too much hassle/money?

But I do think, even if only as a point of principle, you shouldn't be allowed to be paid for something while still a learner.

That said, in my early days of flying I did on a number of occasions take a lovely lass flying. And we just happened to route over a selection of rather fine buildings. And she just happened to have a camera. And her father just happened to be a partner in a commercial property brokers.

Mate of mine worked for the local council and every summer we would do a trip where he would take photos of houses with swimming pools then he would go back to the office and see if they were all declaring their swimming pools. He caught quite a few that way and no I didn't charge him for the flight.
By Sooty25
chevvron wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:I cannot believe that if you've passed a CBT and delivered pizza for a fortnight you wouldn't be able to pass the test to get a full licence. What stops people - is it too much hassle/money?

But I do think, even if only as a point of principle, you shouldn't be allowed to be paid for something while still a learner.

That said, in my early days of flying I did on a number of occasions take a lovely lass flying. And we just happened to route over a selection of rather fine buildings. And she just happened to have a camera. And her father just happened to be a partner in a commercial property brokers.

Mate of mine worked for the local council and every summer we would do a trip where he would take photos of houses with swimming pools then he would go back to the office and see if they were all declaring their swimming pools. He caught quite a few that way and no I didn't charge him for the flight.

I'm not sure that's something I'd be proud of. :(
Nick liked this
By Ben J
Thank you everyone for your reply’s, (even ones that went of subject lol)

I wasn’t looking for a full time job giving enough pay for a living, just something to maybe pay for the ppl.

The photography thing was something I was thinking about, I am a photographer as well, is there anything I can do in that field? Or even fly a photographer around where he wants to photograph and charge for the flight?
By mmcp42
Ben J wrote:Thank you everyone for your reply’s, (even ones that went of subject lol)

I wasn’t looking for a full time job giving enough pay for a living, just something to maybe pay for the ppl.

The photography thing was something I was thinking about, I am a photographer as well, is there anything I can do in that field? Or even fly a photographer around where he wants to photograph and charge for the flight?

what you have to get your head around is the minute you get remuneration you need a CPL
the C stands for Commercial :)
By flybymike
Is it illegal for a passenger to take a photo from an aeroplane?

Is it illegal for anyone to sell photos they have taken?

Is it possible for anyone to know the possible outcome of these two things?
By hatzflyer
Sooty25 wrote:
chevvron wrote:

I'm not sure that's something I'd be proud of. :(

+1 :(
We had a similar type based on our airfield that worked in the local council Planning department.
He forged evidence against us at a public enquiry using his share in the aircraft based on our field.
He doesn't fly anymore.
FrankS liked this
By Sooty25
hatzflyer wrote:+1 :(
We had a similar type based on our airfield that worked in the local council Planning department.
He forged evidence against us at a public enquiry using his share in the aircraft based on our field.
He doesn't fly anymore.

could you prove it was forged? He'd do time for that.

As for swimming pools, I think I'l stake out a nice big light blue tarpaulin on the lawn in the summer, and stand a few deckchairs around it, just to see what happens!
By Flyin'Dutch'
flybymike wrote:Is it illegal for a passenger to take a photo from an aeroplane?

That sort of stuff is aerial work for which as a pilot you need a CPL.
By joe-fbs
I have never been paid to be a pilot and almost certainly never will be but the "investment" of having a PPL was a helpful factor in getting me my previous job at Game Composites and was absolutely pivotal in the recent expansion of my current job at Hybrid Air Vehicles to include being an on-board Flight Test Engineer. Neither of these cases is especially relevant to the OP but they do illustrate other means of gaining some value from having a PPL (and I like mentioning them :-) ).
By tomshep
One hot summer, a relative was summonsed for breaking the hosepipe ban. The area around the swimming pool was suspiciously green and the water board had aerial pictures to prove it. Relative rolled up to the magistrates court with his own photograph of paving stones around said pool and a roll of AstroTurf under his arm. He got costs.
By chevvron
mmcp42 wrote:what you have to get your head around is the minute you get remuneration you need a CPL
the C stands for Commercial :)

Not remuneration but free flying; the club I used to fly with at Blackbushe got its Cessna fleet serviced at Lasham and several of the more experienced PPLs (one of the others worked at AAIB) were often asked to ferry the aircraft one way or the other but not charged for the ferry time.(About 15 min depending on type)
Last edited by chevvron on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flybymike
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
flybymike wrote:Is it illegal for a passenger to take a photo from an aeroplane?

That sort of stuff is aerial work for which as a pilot you need a CPL.

A CPL is needed because a passenger wants to sell some photos he has taken?