Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Allan Armadale wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:Not to mention an FE anywhere in easa land is allowed to prof check for revalidation but not capable of signing a uk reval by experience

Rediculous but true! :lol

Yes. Most irritating it is too. As I said further up, it wasn't the case with JAR.

Regards, SD..
By Paul_Sengupta
EASA took the backward step of dividing the EASA areas into countries which don't recognise each others' medicals and sign-offs, while at the same time not recognising national licences of those countries.

A bit like the left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing.
By Sir Morley Steven
Allan Armadale wrote:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:
Allan Armadale wrote:I have always thought it a bit daft that examiners need not have flown with the pilot but instructors must have done so, doesn’t make any sense.

I have a higher qualification.

What part of the flight examiners’ qualification and training relates to checking that administrative requirements have been met? What part of the ground examiner’s qualification means I can do the same for a UK CAA PPL holder (i.e. without having flown with the pilot) but not for an EASA licence holder? It is the same nonsense; the reality is that the rools have grown organically and sometimes they don’t make sense.

Allan you asked two probably rhetorical questions but I shall answer them anyway.

I referred to my FE training notes and checking revalidation requirements was part of the training. At the same time, of course, we covered examining licences and logbooks for rating currency and other things. You would be surprised how many pilots come to me to “revalidate their licence” only for me to discover that they simply need to sign it to validate it and have a current rating to use its privileges. Reveal by experience was a small part of checking licence and rating validity.

Your second question was more of a statement on UK CAA versus EASA. I think we all know now that EASA rules only apply to EASA licences so I guess your question was merely an anti EASA whinge.

Becoming an examiner isn’t easy. I suggest people do the course before slagging us off. Revalidating by experience is probably the easiest part of it and I train my instructors to look at the licences and logbooks for other stuff too but an instructor with 945 priviledges could well miss something which invalidates a licence or rating. Needless to say my instructors have that training.

Do FIs know if they can revalidate an SEP(sea) and SEP(land) at the same time and what the criteria are? Can a pilot fly an SEP on an SET rating? Does flying on an expired JAR licence with a valid SEP rating count? Is a licence invalid without photo ID? Should an instructor refuse to revalidate a rating if the pilot flew dangerously? I have had all these and more as an examiner and they were all covered in training.

It’s a piece off pi$$ this examiner lark. Money for old rope. :roll:
kanga, AndyR liked this
By Andrew Sinclair
Steve,

I have appeared to have offended you for which I will apologise.

However, revalidating an EASA licence by experience is an administrative exercise which I do frequently for both EASA and UK CAA PPL holders.

I make no comment about revalidating by LPC/flight test which I don’t do so do not hold a view.

I’ll comment no further, suffice it to say none of what you have written is relevant to the arministrative execise of revalidating by experience.

Relax!
By ChrisRowland
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Do FIs know if they can revalidate an SEP(sea) and SEP(land) at the same time and what the criteria are? Can a pilot fly an SEP on an SET rating? Does flying on an expired JAR licence with a valid SEP rating count? Is a licence invalid without photo ID? Should an instructor refuse to revalidate a rating if the pilot flew dangerously?

Would 'I don't know, I'll have to look it up' be an acceptable response to those questions? Especially if they knew where to look it up.
By Talkdownman
Sir Morley Steven wrote:an instructor with 945 priviledges could well miss something which invalidates a licence or rating. Needless to say my instructors have that training

As an 'independent' FI outside an ATO the above bothers me. I would prefer to instruct under the auspices of an ATO under the supervision of such a thorough head of training.
By Sir Morley Steven
ChrisRowland wrote:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Do FIs know if they can revalidate an SEP(sea) and SEP(land) at the same time and what the criteria are? Can a pilot fly an SEP on an SET rating? Does flying on an expired JAR licence with a valid SEP rating count? Is a licence invalid without photo ID? Should an instructor refuse to revalidate a rating if the pilot flew dangerously?

Would 'I don't know, I'll have to look it up' be an acceptable response to those questions? Especially if they knew where to look it up.

Yup
ChrisRowland liked this
By Dave W
Especially since, as I learned to my cost in this very thread, it could easily have changed from the last time one looked - even if that was only a few months ago.
By malcolmfrost
I have just come to grief over revalidation in that I failed to get my licence signed by the expiry date. I had fulfilled the hours requirement, and as I had done a simulator OPC/LPC at work didn't need "an hours instruction". As a result I now have to go to an ATO, get an assessment of training required and then do a flight test!
I accept that "thems the rules" and it's my fault, but it does seem ridiculous that an FI cannot check that I had met the requirements at the expiry date and sign me off.
By Miscellaneous
malcolmfrost wrote:As a result I now have to go to an ATO, get an assessment of training required and then do a flight test!

Really, is the requirement not just that you do an LPC? :?
By Irv Lee
@Miscellaneous With an ato/rf certificate to say he is ready for it.
I flew with someone this year for his training flight after a four year gap as he had moved into a syndicate 3 years ago at a fairly distant airfield. I asked why he wanted me and not a local, expecting it to be something to do with the flight content. It was that his local club had charged him a year's club membership (three figures) for the one hour flight and told him it was club policy.
By Miscellaneous
Irv Lee wrote:@Miscellaneous With an ato/rf certificate to say he is ready for it.

Oh joy! Another hurdle for me to jump through. It's not the requirement in itself that's the problem, it's the challenges such as you describe.