Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Anything positive to say about it folks? Anything?

I can imagine a significant sum of money got invested in improving the runways. That is a positive.

For some to say they will avoid the place because they lost their free landings does not encourage other airfields to invest in their infrastructure.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I do like Goodwood though try to avoid it when boggy. The FISOs are always very helpful. It will be a shame to lose free landings for the shared Tri-Pacer, but such is life. I think that Lee on Solent is now £17.60 for a landing fee rather than the £7.50 mentioned in an earlier post.
I love Goodwood.

Always have plenty of smiles from the staff on landing, and the only place I know where you can see aircraft formating in the overhead, spitfires taking off and landing and watch race cars on the circuit, all at the same time whilst having a post landing coffee. Magic. Flying from Shoreham, I sometimes wish it was a bit further away to make it more of a journey.

Last time I visited 2 it so weeks ago, it was pretty damn boggy.- Disappointingly so for a place that has invested so much in drainage.

Visiting earlier in the summer it was silky smooth, though I suspect I'll not experience that again any time soon :(
I'm curious about what places are available to land at. From various threads what's required are:
  • No Hi Vis vests.
  • No soft ground.
  • Possibly no grass at all.
  • Low cost, or is it no cost for landing.
  • No ATC.
  • No PPR.
  • No grass or gravel manoeuvring areas.
  • No Handling.
  • High quality refreshments.
I'm sure I've missed a lot of other requirements. I'm wondering if there is anywhere that's acceptable.

This may feel a bit off topic but every thread talking about an airfield seems to go the same way.
AndyR, johnm liked this
So in the big picture of things , what really has changed at Goodwood ?

They've stopped giving free landing fees to pre-66 aeroplanes ! But so what , the people who have benefitted from this are a bit in credit now aren't they ? So what's wrong with going in there now and just paying a normal landing fee ?

Funny how people lament the passing of airfields that are now housing developments isn't it . Yet expect to fly into this one , with its incredible wartime provenance and post-war motor racing history and pay nothing !

Yes , I know that Charlie March has done a fantastic job in ensuring the viability of his inheritance , what with Goodwood Aero Club , GRRC and the other "exclusive" Goodwood related commercial offerings , but that doesn't just underpin his future , it also makes it fairly safe for people like us , who want to carry on flying into GWC.

Despite owning two classic cars myself , plus a funny old aeroplane , I have absolutely no interest myself in joining either the Aero Club , or GRRC ! But that doesn't preclude me from being able to fly into GWC or attend the Revival as is my wont.

Young pilots gave their lives in WW2 from Westhampnett , and several fine young drivers lost their lives on the track !

So let's support this one shall we .
rats404, Bobcro liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Dodo wrote:I think that Lee on Solent is now £17.60 for a landing fee rather than the £7.50 mentioned in an earlier post.

Depends on the weight. I think the higher charge is now £18.something. Not sure about the lower charge. I think the cut off might be 750kg off the top of my head without looking it up.
Lee on Slolent - Just under £9.00 for a/c under 750kg (Luscombes, Cubs and lighter 2seaters etc). Around £18 for 4 seaters (PA28's etc) as a simplistic look at it. So set off down to the beach, get that deck chair out, roll up your trousers, tie the knotted the hankie, sunbathe and have a bag of fish and chips! A real British day out..
Old Sarum - £24 for unlimited landings per hour (10.00 for the one) excellent if you're rusty or even student training) , a cafe/reastaurant, a museum and a park and ride service into Salisbury 10 minutes down the road. Never seems to suffer what Compton, Goodwood and other grass strips seem to suffer from. Excellent viewing of others coming and going.!?! :shock:
For those moaning about paying landing fees or it's often very busy, there are many, many, grass strips out there, often with a pub near by, free overnight parking, beautiful walks or just lie on the grass, have a picnic , again with yer trousers rolled up, lie back, snooz, sleep or read a book. All this for often under a fiver. Peace..... Bliss.... Little or no radio, no circuit traffic.. Another world in aviation that is rapidly becoming popular. Just a thought... :thumleft:
Nige Barratt. Ps, all strips aren't necessarily short n hairy!
G-BLEW, Rich V, Bobcro and 1 others liked this
nige barratt wrote: Ps, all strips aren't necessarily short n hairy!

... do you have a review of Amsterdam? lol

Anyway, with so many strips that are not on the charts, (well we have our national standards for what makes it onto the charts :wink: ) that is one reason why I don't cruise too low as might get a surprise from someone on the climb out...

When I did my PPL training we were doing PFLs and I had done field selection and the glide looked ok... then I saw a strip that was not on the chart and went for that as the best possible landing surface! Not sure why I didnt see it to start with.... so many shades of green and probably selecting a squarer field than a narrow rectangular field.
By rats404
ChrisRowland wrote:I'm curious about what places are available to land at. From various threads what's required are:
  • No Hi Vis vests.
  • No soft ground.
  • Possibly no grass at all.
  • Low cost, or is it no cost for landing.
  • No ATC.
  • No PPR.
  • No grass or gravel manoeuvring areas.
  • No Handling.
  • High quality refreshments.
I'm sure I've missed a lot of other requirements. I'm wondering if there is anywhere that's acceptable.

This may feel a bit off topic but every thread talking about an airfield seems to go the same way.

7/9 for Old Warden, 6/9 on air show days :-)
By Lefty
We popped into Goodwood on Friday. Couldn’t fault the ATC, the club or the excellent ld Control tower cafe staff - all excellent.
However runway 32 was very cut up and slippery, as were the taxiing and parking areas. This was a real problem for a/c that rely on differential braking for steerage. Even with steerable nosewheel, people were having problems maintaining directional control on the landing and takeoff roll.

A great place to visit, but just be aware of the slipperyness.
By Flying_john
Goodwood was closed to us so went to show our support for Lee on Tuesday and it seems to change every visit - for the better.

Very pleasant lady on A/G and in the fee taking office an equally pleasant chap. We did not venture to the sea front but enjoyed a breakfast roll and tea from the cabin.

There does seem to be a lot of work going on between the back of the tower and the hovercraft museum. I hope this is for expanding business that will be attracted to a town with a small airport and a hard runway.

I think the landing fee was £17.50 - on a par with Lydd I think. Its nicer in the summer when you could walk along the front and eat lunch watching the ships go by.
RichardDavies liked this
Flying_john wrote:Goodwood was closed to us so went to show our support for Lee on Tuesday and it seems to change every visit - for the better.

Very pleasant lady on A/G and in the fee taking office an equally pleasant chap. We did not venture to the sea front but enjoyed a breakfast roll and tea from the cabin.

There does seem to be a lot of work going on between the back of the tower and the hovercraft museum. I hope this is for expanding business that will be attracted to a town with a small airport and a hard runway.

I think the landing fee was £17.50 - on a par with Lydd I think. Its nicer in the summer when you could walk along the front and eat lunch watching the ships go by.

So much work/new stuff going on at the airfield at the moment, with 11 new hangers and a cafe soon to go into the viewing lounge as well as a recently finished viewing area outside with a low fence.

They have a little Christmas event going on tomorrow between 12-2 at the viewing lounge if anyone wants to pop in. Plus

ImageGardan GY-80 Horizon G-GYAT Lee on Solent Airfield 2017 by Richard Davies, on Flickr