Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteM
AFSAG I can offer at least a partial response. Living up here I am rather more aware of deer hunting than many of the posters.

My first thought, well actually the second as I was not sure what the initial query was, was to say that knowing where you are going use the aircraft to carefully survey the estate. Start off fairly high and work your way down. Even large herds can be difficult to spot and they are pretty mobile.

However sorting out pretty much where they are and then using the local knowledge of where they will probably go a long way in making it a successful hunt.

Terrain I can fly over in seconds will take hours to crawl up, over or down. That 'couple of slopes' might take all morning to toil up. To find your quarry has moved that far again whilst you were getting there. The perception that deer are easy to hunt is very far from the actuality in most cases. They are pretty destructive to the native flora and fauna and incredibly alert to any threats. Trailing them for days is not that uncommon.

Then you have to get the carcass home. Snowcats, Agrocats and the like improve mobility but actually a pony is still the best choice - just make sure the herd never smell or see it!

Frankly there is far too much 'Bambi' nonsense n most peoples' thinking. Do some serious walking in our hills and you'll begin to appreciate just how tough animals have to be to survive in this sort of environment. To have a population which threatens biodiversity and needs culling shows a species to be admired and managed.
By squawking 7700
I'm all for wild venison over farmed deer or other farmed animals for which I'd happily go vegetarian.
The animal's lead a fulfilled life in its natural surroundings.

But as johnm said, bring back lynx at least, probably not enough wild places left in the UK for wolves and bears to be truly wild.

Best venison I've had has been in a goulash a couple of times in Slovakia where it was undoubtedly wild (cue joke about I'd be wild if I was shot).

By Miscellaneous
squawking 7700 wrote:Best venison I've had has been in a goulash a couple of times in Slovakia...

As far as I'm aware I've only ever eaten Red Deer, however the locals around the new gaff assure me that I'd never go back to Red having tried Roe. Apparently the difference is as significant as beef v Red Deer venison.

Now Roe Deer are kinda Bambi like. :think:
By Wide-Body
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AFSAG wrote:Could you explain to me why you do it?

I accept the usual statements already given above about meat eaters not having any moral high ground and the need for population control, but these aren't reasons why

I accept you are more intelligent than a deer and you do have a lethal weapon, with a telescopic sight to make the target appear bigger, so where is the challenge?

From my youth. Whilst doing the rounds with the local gamekeeper on a large estate. We were doing a specific cull. Always questioning (I was probably a pain), I asked why we had to shoot them. Answer is simple really. There,is only so much natural food, and deer breed well. To give an illustration. If you cull 25 deer the heard survive. If you do not shoot out then 50 will die a slow death of starvation.

It’s just taking the place of the wolf I guess.
By Chris Martyr
mick w wrote: I wouldn't have any son . :wink:

Mick , they really do have to get that bloody "like" button working again.. :D

Message for OP . Don't waste your time going all the way to Scotland to shoot these damn things. Just come down to Sussex !
Just fix a metal bar across the front of your car , you'll save a fortune in cartridges..!
By SteveC
Artschool wrote:
SteveC wrote:To answer the original question. Its a private flight, stick the gear in the back and fly. I have carried shotguns and firearms for years in the aircraft. When transporting any type of firearm I use the same security whether its the car or the aircraft. Trigger locks on and in a case and in the case of rifles the bolt removed and stored separately. I usually carry the bolt on my person. I carry ammunition in a locked box if I need to transport it but generally will purchase locally if possible. Shotgun cartridges require no extra security.

Just use your common sense and you will be fine.

thank you Steve.

Out of interest if I was to fly to Germany would this change anything.

please assume that I have all the necessary firearms licence, European firearms pass, letter of invitation etc that I normally have when flying with easyJet!

Nope. As long as you have the required paperwork you are fine. I shoot at various game shoots in France and Germany without issue.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Chris Martyr wrote:Just fix a metal bar across the front of your car , you'll save a fortune in cartridges..!

Which reminds me.

When visiting Australia, I was intrigued for a while as to the reason why the locals said they fitted rhubarb to the front of their utes.
By Rob P
Russ_H wrote:.... my thoughts about people that shoot things for Sport

So basically it is fine if the animals (that others eat) are slaughtered by a guy on minimum wage in the tawdry surrounds of a slaughterhouse. But if there is the chance that the person who ends the animal's life is not hating every minute and ticking off the hours until the end of the working week this is a bad thing?

Rob P
By Rob L
The OP had a genuine question; poorly put but genuine nonetheless. Let's not get into the other arguments, please.

Rob L
By Europaul383
Lockhaven wrote:
Artschool wrote:The ANO mentions this?
Quote from the ANO
if the rifle was locked up with only the pilot having the key would it comply?

This for commercial flights, i.e the operator, not for private flights.

I'm not so sure about that. The quote is from PART 5 Operations, CHAPTER 5 Dangerous Goods; which is followed by CHAPTER 6 Air operator certificates and CHAPTER 7 Additional requirements for public transport operations - so I suspect Operations means all operations.

Happy to be corrected.
By eharding
I'm reminded of an old family friend of my boss, who pioneered the use of helicopters in New Zealand for live capture of deer from the more remote parts of the country, after feral deer had become a serious problem.

Eventually they developed all manner of nets, darts and gadgets to subdue the deer, but the initial approach was simply to follow the deer at low level, and then to have someone jump out of the helicopter onto the animal, wrestle it to the ground, hog-tie it and lift it off the mountain.

I'd have a go myself but, having reviewed the kit involved in the museum at Wanaka, I think they'd a) need a bigger helicopter and b) if the object is live capture after having me land on it, they'd probably need some bigger deer as well. Much bigger.

They have a few Yak-52s out there as well, so maybe deer jumping from one of them might be an option, but that would be in Forrest Gump / Fishing Boat / Jetty territory.
By Nomad63
Rob P wrote:
Russ_H wrote:.... my thoughts about people that shoot things for Sport

So basically it is fine if the animals (that others eat) are slaughtered by a guy on minimum wage in the tawdry surrounds of a slaughterhouse. But if there is the chance that the person who ends the animal's life is not hating every minute and ticking off the hours until the end of the working week this is a bad thing?

Rob P

What a complete load of xxxxxx, you have no idea of my views on slaughterhouses