Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If the grass is nice and flat and dry I might be tempted to bring the TB.........750 metres is a bit short if it's soggy though :-(
It looks as though the weather may have the final say this time. shame.

Bit of thread drift but the most insane bit of Hi Vis Carp that I ever got involved in was visiting a building site on a M.O.D. site.
Guard " You can't come in without a Hi Vis Vest "
Me " But I am wearing a Hi Vis Jacket "
Guard " You may be but that's not a vest and I can't let you in "
Me " It's pissing down with rain I'm not taking my water proof Hi Vis jacket off."
Guard " Do you have a Hi Vis Vest in your car sir?"
Me " Yes "
Guard "well I suggest you go back to your car sir and put it on under your jacket and then I can let you in "
:roll:
Last edited by hatzflyer on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the "stonewall frigate" at Chatham, a daft rule was introduced - "Ties shall be worn in the mess bar at all times" During a social evening one PO was rebuked for not wearing one and asked to make himself scarce. He returned about ten minutes later in the **** buff, wearing nothing but a black tie. Try that idea with a high viz vest.
By Rob L
cockney steve wrote:.... Static electricity around the fuel-pumps....again, largely an imagined risk. There is, AFAIK NO recorded case, anywhere in the world, of a High-Vis. vest causing a fuel fire. ...

(my snip above)

Albeit not at fuel pumps nor a hi-viz vest (it was a fleece), but an example of the dangers of static when refuelling aircraft:
NZ CAA Safety Magazine wrote: ...New Zealand aviation had a dramatic and disastrous reminder of the dangers of static electricity discharge during fuel handling. While fuel was being poured into the empty tank of a Partenavia aircraft following extensive maintenance, an explosion occurred resulting in severe injuries to an engineer and extensive damage to the aircraft and surroundings.

Source: https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legacy/P ... angers.pdf

(worth reading the whole article, from 2005)
This thread strikes me as a great example of how those within GA contribute to some of the challenges threatening the longevity of the activity. For some it's not good enough to have a view and act upon it. The strength of the need to harp on and on, presumably to impose that view on others, threatening the success of the event is staggering.

Ironically some of those same people will be the first to shout when an airfield is threatened by closure.

Talk about shooting one's self in the foot. :roll:
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree, I can't see why having a bit of fun at one's base by poking fun at the loopier aspects of H&S culture prohibits one from complying with such rules to attend an attractive event at another airfield which takes a different approach.
By chevvron
Rob L wrote:
cockney steve wrote:.... Static electricity around the fuel-pumps....again, largely an imagined risk. There is, AFAIK NO recorded case, anywhere in the world, of a High-Vis. vest causing a fuel fire. ...

(my snip above)

Albeit not at fuel pumps nor a hi-viz vest (it was a fleece), but an example of the dangers of static when refuelling aircraft:
NZ CAA Safety Magazine wrote: ...New Zealand aviation had a dramatic and disastrous reminder of the dangers of static electricity discharge during fuel handling. While fuel was being poured into the empty tank of a Partenavia aircraft following extensive maintenance, an explosion occurred resulting in severe injuries to an engineer and extensive damage to the aircraft and surroundings.

Source: https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legacy/P ... angers.pdf

(worth reading the whole article, from 2005)

About 20 years ago, possibly longer, ATC cadets began to be issued with a nice line in waterproof jackets made of nylon type material which weren't being issued to the RAF. Normally cadets only get 'new' clothing if it's standard RAF issue.
Then it was revealed that these jackets had originally been purchased to provide 'flight line mechanics' ie re-fuellers, marshallers etc with a lightweight waterproof jacket for use when doing aircraft turnrounds.
Then after the sale had already gone through, someone twigged that it might not be a good idea to give people who habitually worked in an area with lots of flammable materials a jacket made of material which generated static electricity with little effort, hence they were issued to cadets instead, there being a strict instruction (which was widely ignored) that they were not to be issued to adult staff (didn't matter if the cadets caught fire :twisted:)