Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
I hadn't realised that it was possible to add headsets to an 8.33 claim but I am assured it is.

Has anyone succeeded in making a claim for a new headset?

Rob P
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
You can claim up to £500 for a headset if you're making a radio claim, or have previously made a radio claim in the claims period. When we were preparing the 8.33 update in FLYER October 2017, the CAA told us that if you wanted to buy a top-end headset costing £800, go ahead and you'll receive 20% of £500, ie £100. CAP1501 gives full details of what's possible and the conditions. It includes:

Intercom systems
Headset(s)
Audio panel
Control head
Remote microphone/speaker
Charging cables, charging dock, cases, spare OEM battery
Radio manufacturer installation fitting kit
Panel mounting frame/bezel/tray
Mounting brackets
Connectors and adaptors
Wiring harness for this equipment
Aerial, antenna and cabling.
By Rob P
Thanks.

I guess £100 is better than a nothing.

Not that I was/am planning to buy any new headsets.

Rob P
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Indeed. The bit that annoys me that's missing from the list is CDI. New Nav/Com will have different indicator, but that isn't included and they aren't cheap!
By Colonel Panic
the CAA told us that if you wanted to buy a top-end headset costing £800, go ahead and you'll receive 20% of £500, ie £100.

Amazing; I must remember not to accept any grief from others re: the fairness of farming subsidies ever again. :shock:
By Miscellaneous
Does radio and headset have to be purchased together? Does the claim have to be a single claim covering all products? It so happens I bought a headset a year ago now, I believe the radio payment has already been received.
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
From CAP1501:

Types of associated hardware that can be claimed per aircraft

24. So long as a comms equipage has also been claimed, then certain associated
hardware is also eligible for funding. These can be claimed once per aircraft.

25. Below are details of exactly the associated hardware that can be claimed, along
with the maximum gross cost cap (incl. VAT) against each item:
a) Intercom systems – up to £300 total
b) Headset (s) – up to £500 total
c) Audio Panel – up to £1,500 total
d) Control head – up to £500 total
CAP 1501 Fixed Aircraft Radio Licence
December 2016 Page 12
e) Remote microphone/speaker – up to £300 total
f) Charging cables, charging dock, cases, spare OEM battery – up to £300
total

26. When claiming for associated hardware, the claimant will need to supply
receipts. They will also be asked, where appropriate, for details of the make,
model, and serial numbers.

General considerations for fixed claims
27. It is possible that a claimant may not be in a position to claim for everything at
the same time in 1 submission. This is allowed, and a maximum limit of 4
submissions can be made under this licence (and hence against this aircraft).
For example, this might be because they only want to purchase 1 comms device
at a time, and they want to claim early knowing that it is on a first come, first
served basis. It should be noted however that for any claim to be considered for
“related fitting accessories” or “associated hardware”, the claimant, under this
fixed licence number, must have made a valid claim for an 8.33 kHz comms
device. This is, for example, to prevent a claimant simply claiming for a new
headset without ever claiming for a comms device.
By alexbrett2
An interesting related question - my reading of CAP1501 suggests there is no need for a radio purchase to be to replace a non-8.33 capable bit of kit.

I have been looking at upgrading a GNS430 (which is 8.33 capable) to something newer (which will also be 8.33 capable) - this doesn't feel like it's in the 'spirit' of the funding, and I certainly wouldn't want to deprive someone who needed to upgrade to maintain compliance, but if, as I'm led to understand, there is plenty of money left 'in the pot', and it's going to go to waste otherwise (presumably anything left gets returned to the EU?), it seems crazy not to take advantage (assuming I can buy and pay for the upgrade before the end of December) - or have I missed something?
By GAFlyer4Fun
alexbrett2 wrote:An interesting related question - my reading of CAP1501 suggests there is no need for a radio purchase to be to replace a non-8.33 capable bit of kit.

That was my interpretation. Could go from non-radio to top/bottom of the range 8.33kHz radio if you wanted.

alexbrett2 wrote:I have been looking at upgrading a GNS430 (which is 8.33 capable) to something newer (which will also be 8.33 capable) - this doesn't feel like it's in the 'spirit' of the funding, ...

Different people have different budgets.
There is nothing wrong with replacing it if you are prepared to pay (lose/invest) at least 80% of the costs.
Some will say if its not broke dont fix it.
Some will say don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Some will say if it is a very old 430, and you did not replace it (minimum cost option?) but it broke at the end of next year and repair was either impossible or very expensive, would you kick yourself for missing out on the EU grant?
From that perspective, it could be viewed as an investment and very few investments make 20%...

The last time I looked at the 430, it was a discontinued model, so how much longer will spares/repairs/database/tech support be available? (I still do not understand why some new aircraft costing six figure sums can have a discontinued 430 as an option),

If you need to retain IFR capability, it is a good time to upgrade to replace a very old 430 with a GTN650 or IFD440, both of which are going to be so much easier to use (and the IFD440 will be the easiest to install when replacing a 430).

Make sure the existing CDI is compatible as a used compatible CDI is hard to find, and a new GI106 is going to cost around £2k with no EU Grant available for a CDI, (which is perhaps not quite in the spirit of things for those that had an IFR panel to start with given all the other accessories that can be claimed. :whistle: )

CAA say there is loads of funding available, so go for it and fit whatever floats your boat!