Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Buzzc150
Hi

I'm looking into getting SkyDemon. Is it usable on an iPhone (6s+) or does it really need a bigger screen for practical use in the air ?
Also, does it need a separate plug in GPS aerial or is the iPhone built in one ok ?

Cheers
By matthew_w100
It's fine on both counts. You just need to be able to see the magenta line. It's only a bit small if you want to muck about with all those features they keep adding, while in the air. So long as you set it up on the ground then leave it alone you'll be grand.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:It's fine on both counts. You just need to be able to see the magenta line. It's only a bit small if you want to muck about with all those features they keep adding, while in the air. So long as you set it up on the ground then leave it alone you'll be grand.

+1
By Human Factor
Skydemon on a 6S on my knee is fine. All I need to do now is to set a reminder to get the Garmin out of my helmet bag.... :roll:
By T67M
I use SkyDemon on my Pixel XL, about the same size as the 6S, and that's just the right size for the cockpit in my opinion.

I have heard that the "notch" on the iPhone X is causing some problems, but I'm sure the SkyDemon team will work a way around them soon enough.
By johnm
It will run on an iPhone 4s but the screen is a bit small for other than occasional use.
By Lerk
SD running on an X here...
The notch means if you try and press the top buttons you get nothing, but press just below them and you get the menus no problem.
Other than SD, it seems like a perfectly natural progression from previous iphones.
The Face ID bit is very good, although does require you to look at your phone rather than just double tapping and lifting your phone to pay.

Only thing I’ve found that I didn’t like, is the sos feature - press the side button five times and it calls 112... I had it stashed in a bum bag while out on the bike and it was making calls without my knowledge.
This is an iOS11 feature rather than an iPhone X feature though and can be easily disabled.