Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By neilmurg
Lefty wrote:...This rough position is used to tell the GPS unit where it is on the planet - and thereby which satellites it should be receiving...
That won't work, because the satellites aren't in a stationary orbit - try again
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hu?

The GPS satellites are indeed not in a stationary orbit but the positioning system works by comparing the position of the satellites it can see with the distance from those satellites. I understand that by having rough fix the GPS calculator in your device knows which satellites it should be able to see at which point on the globe.
By johnm
Given Lefty's career I think he might have a reasonable clue as to how this kit works :-)
By Flying_john
Having just changed from an Android based Sony phone and "bitten the bullet" and got an Ithingy - the most noticeable thing, apart from not being able to bulk delete emails , oh and store my video footage and then there's the.......

is the fact that with the Sony, RunwayHD just started and told me where I was. This was my back up to the backup for the Ipad inthe plane incase it all went wrong. Now with the Iphone, it takes about 10mins to find itself, which if I am in the air has no hope of getting a wireless signal or anything else to help the gps know where I am. I wonder if I need the App in the background permanantly, to be able to switch to it quickly and know my position.
By TLRippon
Lerk wrote:

Only thing I’ve found that I didn’t like, is the sos feature - press the side button five times and it calls 112... I had it stashed in a bum bag while out on the bike and it was making calls without my knowledge.
This is an iOS11 feature rather than an iPhone X feature though and can be easily disabled.

Can you get the "Fashion Police" on 112 these days? :P
By malcolmfrost
My Nexus is fantastically quick :D
Unlike android devices there is no easy way of finding out if the ipad or iPhone is using actual GPS or pseudo, there is one App called GPS Data which shows a flashing red light when the GPS is providing a location..
By Sir Morley Steven
I have an iPhone X and there are problems with SD on it. I have emailed them.
Basically there are three issues. The screen on the phone goes right to the edge and this appears to be causing all the issues.
1, The "notch" for the phone speaker obscures the data or the tabs depending on which way round you have it
2. The X's screen appears to be less touch sensitive near the edge so opening stuff is problematic.
3. the corners are rounded and partially obscure the corner buttons on the screen.
The notch is by far the worst as SD's use is limited with it. The others are just a mild irritation.
By Rob P
Sir Morley Steven wrote:I have an iPhone X and there are problems with SD on it. I have emailed them.

And what did Apple reply?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
My aged iPhone 4S runs SD a dream and finds itself immediately. Only used for back up but tested before flight.

Peter
By Lefty
Flying_john wrote:Having just changed from an Android based Sony phone and "bitten the bullet" and got an Ithingy - the most noticeable thing, apart from not being able to bulk delete emails , oh and store my video footage and then there's the.......

is the fact that with the Sony, RunwayHD just started and told me where I was. This was my back up to the backup for the Ipad inthe plane incase it all went wrong. Now with the Iphone, it takes about 10mins to find itself, which if I am in the air has no hope of getting a wireless signal or anything else to help the gps know where I am. I wonder if I need the App in the background permanantly, to be able to switch to it quickly and know my position.

As I said above,
1) you do not need to have SD running in background all the time. But what is the harm if you did?
2) I suspect the problem is that you may have you your iPhone WiFi switched off. Try switching it on, (leave it on) and SD should find its position within a couple of seconds of you selecting Flying mode.
By johnm
The trouble is that all these companies need to keep changing things.

Like Pete Spencer my IPhone 4s just works and can run Skydemon at iOS 7. Mrs Johnm IPhone 6 is OK but more fiddly on iOS 11 as there's lots of useless bells and whistles.

My ipad mini is a bit less reliable on 11 than it was on 10.

However with wifi on all the time all three find themselves instantly, far quicker than the GTN 650 in fact.

Android was just annoying and Windows 10 is the pits, so Apple is still the best of a bunch, all of which are now over the peak of performance and features and running downhill to becoming c@rp.
By malcolmfrost
Android was just annoying and Windows 10 is the pits

Seriously!?
I have the misfortune to be forced to have an iPad for work, but the constant changes are far, far worse than any on Android and 10. The recent iOS 11 "upgrade" changed the user interface for no apparent reason. All the work specific apps then had to be tested , but by the time that was complete we had a 7 day window before 11.2 was released and the whole process had to start again......
Android updates seem wholly beneficial, and Windows 10 is very stable.
By Flying_john
Well thanks all for the tips and hints.
I do have WiFi on all the time and have downloaded the GPS App as suggested,

I was informed that if I leave it running in the background (as for any other apps) it uses more of the battery; the more apps you have on.

I initially tried it with SD lite and then RunwayHD, same delay in initial fix, although the GPS data APP seems to be updating position every second or two.

RunwayHD has a banner running across the screen saying "Position not accurate" and SD Lite just doesnt display the Aircraft icon at the place you are at.
By GrahamB
I thought SD Light was a planning only tool, and didn't offer the in-flight moving map stuff?