Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TLRippon
I used to love the virtual radar on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (I think). I mount phones in Landscape due to space. I think it disappeared on my iPhone 5s and haven't seen it since on my 6 or 7. I find it very useful and use it on smaller android phones from time to time than my current 7. Perhaps you could reconsider the screen width algorithm?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PB wrote:Finally, the GNSS signals need to be 'filtered' to make the raw data more stable and of practical use.

Indeed. All devices have filters. From previous posts on here - no position system can currently cope with an aircraft doing aerobatics. For VFR bimblers - any GPS signal, accurate to 100m is probably "good enough" what what they are doing. A bit different if you are doing a CAT3b Autoland using a LVP. There is a reason that Sky Demon wont provide a glideslope below 500 feet.

In phones / tablets there is also lots of "magic" going on to combine sources, which is hidden. It is possible to combine multiple sources to make a location more accurate.
Unless something has changed recently, iPhone apps don't get access to any of that - they just get x, y, z coordinates and an accuracy number from the underlying system. Apps have no way of knowing whether the provided location is from a sub-centimetre accurate, differential multi channel external device or because you are near a known wifi hotspot. Android provides a bit more info (including satellite status) , and it is possible to access external devices directly, but that brings support headaches (but if you are Garmin - you can get details from your own branded devices) so its rare for an app to bother.
By gaznav
Does it work on an iWatch? If you could get it to vibrate on your wrist when there is a potential conflict and then display it on the watch that would be so very cool :thumright:
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Looks the iPhone X issue of buttons / icons etc clashing with “the notch” is sorted in today’s realease :thumleft:

Excellent service as usual!