Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Weekend of 2nd/3rd December.

Planning a trip away on the Saturday with a friend, overnight somewhere, back on the Sunday. Base is EGLM.

Plan A is Dinard and get a taxi into St Malo.

Weather being what it is, I would like alternatives in different directions (i.e. one west, one north) in case a VFR channel crossing looks unlikely on the day.

Any ideas?

Criteria:

- no more than 2hrs away at 110kts
- minimum 700m runway
- sensible (below £50) landing fees
- hotel/pub/other accom within a fairly short-to-medium taxi ride
- accom needs to be 'nice' in some way, i.e. a pub or a slightly interesting hotel, not being snobby about quality but more a desire to avoid blandness - don't want a Travelodge on a business park
- some reason to go there - a good restaurant, a good night out, interesting sights to see, just something....
Heading East I would highly recommend Midden -Zeeland (EHMZ). Billiard smooth 1000M grass runway. Get a taxi or rent a bike (they have electric if you prefer) from the airfield . Lots of places to stay in Middelburg (about 45 minutes bike ride). Hotel de Nieuwe Doelen recommended. Great new restaurant at the airfield. Super friendly , I think they can also arrange a hire car if you prefer.

If you go to Dinard , why stay in St Malo , personally I prefer Dinard , less crowded and nice walks along the coast.

Have fun whatever you decide !
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ostend for Bruges is a sensible East option to add the foregoing.

Going north Elvington for York might be possible with a bit of advanced transport planning.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
West would be the Scillies (though over 2 hours) or somewhere in Cornwall. Maybe Wales...Cardiff is a nice city, though probably quicker to get to by car from where you are. :D

As for north...

Blackpool for the illuminations?

I like York at this time of year...maybe landing at Sherburn or Breighton...I've overnighted at Elvington once but I was warned I leave my aeroplane there at my own risk as it's a bit open and unguarded.