Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Probably a daft question but will a SkyEcho be acceptable in a TMZ for a non-transponder aircraft (like mine, coz it's bust)? Might save a few bob on replacement costs.
By T67M
My understanding at the moment is "no" as the SkyEcho is a low power transceiver, not a high power transponder. I'm not aware of any plans for this to change.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
No, even full on ADS-B through a Mode S ES transponder with a certified WAAS GPS source is not (currently) a substitute for a transponder. I don't know if or when that will change.

Ian
By riverrock
As others say - no - SkyEcho isn't a transponder so doesn't count. I understand that in the USA, it would count in "ADS-B rule airspace" as their systems are being migrated over to use ADS-B only.
Yes - you can still access a TMZ by talking to and getting a clearance from the relevant controller.
By ozplane
Thanks for your relies chaps. Thought it was too good to be true. I see in the SkyEcho Q and As on their website under "Can ATC see me", the answer is "yes for a ground station with ADS-B". WRT getting a clearance into the Stansted TMZ to get to North Weald, are Farnborough North able to do that?