Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nice PR.

We had an interesting one last week where I work at the Cambridge Research Park last week - for those who don't know it is just west of the top end of Waterbeach disused.

There was a mad panic in the office, as a balloon came down in the neighbouring car park, right on top of the building with the power station for building 1000 - we are next door in building 2000.

I haven't discovered more, but when our site security chap ran around, there was nobody in the basket - just the burners full on, and the vents fully open.

Too busy to go out and inspect, but it soon disappeared...

Love to know the full story

KE
By skydriller
matthew_w100 wrote:Interesting. If I tried to land my flex-wing on the rec ground in the middle of town, I'd expect a world of trouble.

I had thought this was an unplanned landing, but no, according to the article apparently he has done this before and had planned on using the rec ground as a landing destination this time too. I know balloons operate somewhat differently to other forms of GA, but if you or I "planned" landing a Flexwing, Supercub or even a Helicopter in the same place, I wonder what the reaction would have been...

Just glad that it comes across as positive for GA in this case :thumleft:

Regards, SD..
By seanxair
I saw one so low over a village on Sunday I assumed he had a problem. It looked not a great deal above rooftop height. I actually circled and in all honesty was expecting to make an emergency call. Then the burners lit up and it gained a few feet and drifted on. At my previous strip one landed about 1/2 an hour before sunset and blocked everything. Not certain how thrilled I would have been if I got back and wasn't able to land.