Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
dont overfill wrote:
AWOS?? James we are talking UK here!

I'm gonna shock you all now.

I agree with James
use of 'AWOS' in a generic sense! :twisted:

As well as the 3 stations I've already mentioned, you have SAWS (Semi Automatic Weather Station) which also needs a human observer to interpret the info it produces. This one I do know about as there's one installed at Farnborough and us controllers were trained on it to do 'unnofficial' obs when there was no assistant (all assistants did a full Met Observer course) available.
Last edited by chevvron on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Allan Armadale wrote:
Highland Park wrote:
Allan Armadale wrote:I would like to think I pre-plan before I depart to a location I am not familiar with and if PPR is required then I will happily accept a brief and indeed ask for one if I am unsure. I would suggest that the pilots that say they have read the website are either lying to cover up a mistake they have made or their brain capacity has been limited to the extent that they made a mistake. Happens to my students all the time...

As a matter of interest I just looked up EGSV and reminded myself of the circuit pattern and noise abatement procedures, seems pretty straight forward to me, I'll try it later this week and see...

I don't deny for one minute they're not straightforward, but it still doesn't stop some visitors from doing the wrong thing...

By logical extension you are or I should say, more politely, are you saying that an A/G operator is requirement because people do things wrong?

No, but as an AGCS is "provided from an aerodrome to give information to pilots of aircraft flying in the vicinity of the aerodrome", I would hope that what we provide (ie AGCS generally, not exclusively at Old Buck), would be helpful. Personally, when I'm flying the more info I have with which to make informed decisions, the better I like it.
Nick, chevvron liked this
Highland Park wrote:No, but as an AGCS is "provided from an aerodrome to give information to pilots of aircraft flying in the vicinity of the aerodrome", I would hope that what we provide (ie AGCS generally, not exclusively at Old Buck), would be helpful. Personally, when I'm flying the more info I have with which to make informed decisions, the better I like it.

We do not disagree on the point that the provision of information is useful for pilots flying in the vicinity of an aerodrome but you context to which I responded was an errant visitor and anyway salient information can be provided by a recording surely?

My original point was that I don't see what an AGCS provides that could not be provided by either automatic means or a recording. It could be argued that when flying in the vicinity of an aerodrome knowledge of local traffic is useful but I can get the from listening to the RT and building a picture of the situation or, more, likely I keep well clear laterally or vertically to minimise my affect on others or there affect on me.
Talkdownman liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Allan Armadale wrote:... I don't see what an AGCS provides that could not be provided by either automatic means or a recording.

I guess given what Alexa, Siri and their friends are now capable of, probably true ;-)

Alexa, is it ok to park next to the Cessna?
Siri, can you switch the runway lights on please?
Alexa, could someone come out and push the cherokee back so that I can taxi to engineering?
Hey Google, has anyone else got this booked today, (or should I taxi back to the hangar)?
Siri, can you remove the large plastic bag near holding point alpha?

<waits for reply pointing out that these are not CAP413 / 452 compliant requests>