Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Rikur,

If you make sure your PAW is running the most recent software you can connect to SD via UDP rather than TCP (just select ‘PilotAware’ rather than ‘Flarm’ in SkyDemon / Settings / Connectivity Options). This was added at the request of SD as it can prove more reliable. When you ‘Go Flying’ you select ‘Use PilotAware’ and it automatically uses the UDP WiFi Connection. Always worth a try for anyone having ‘WiFi’ problems.

Regards

Peter
Paul_Sengupta liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I know there are various Android Wifi apps, and some might be counter productive in that they go off searching for a good internet connection.

I wonder if Tim would be interested in having Sky Demon "take over the Wifi connection" to make this more reliable? Likewise the developers of EasyVFR and Runway HD.

Or if someone knows a good Wifi app which can do this and maintain a connection, it would be good to test on someone's tablet if they normally have a dodgy connection. Wifi is just very convenient for portable devices such as tablets. Bluetooth is another possibility...

or just hard wire it via the USB and turn the wifi off completely.

(oh, good post earlier btw. :thumleft: )
Being a silicon chippie by trade, I had intended to go self build but never got around to it.
I have the bits,( pi, glonass dongle, radio set and wifi dongle) all bar the ribbon cable and the original instructions. The Pi is a model B bought for the job. I wonder if it is still possible to build one's own unit?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ah, I would suggest mostly starting afresh. The radio board now is a new one...if you had to have a ribbon cable, that was for the experimental one using the ARF. The production radio/baro module has a header and plugs directly into the Raspberry Pi.

The Pi B+ has been superseded by the Pi 2 B in current units which has more processing power, and thus allow more features such as audio announcements and Mode C detection.

The GPS, Wifi and DVB-T dongles should still work though, as should the case!

As for the cable to the tablet, it may be possible but would take development on both sides. I believe the tablet would also have to have OTG on its USB port (the first gen Nexus doesn't, 2nd gen does), and for some reason I can't remember, you're not supposed to charge a tablet at the same time as using the USB port for OTG (even if you could find a suitable adaptor cable), so tablet power may be an issue, especially if you're using it max brightness which will kill the battery in a couple of hours.
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
tomshep wrote: I had intended to go self build but never got around to it.

It would be really interesting to see how many units are in actual use; is that number avaialble?

This wouldn't have been counted in the 1500. Only complete units are and I would guess most of those are in use, though I'm currently out of permit, so not flying at the moment. Numbers would be counted by the number of licences issued.

It won't be that many more who have self build, it'll be us early adopters who evolved as the new hardware came out. Maybe Cessna57 could say how many P3i boards have been produced in total, though they're also used for the PAW-OGN stations now.
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I won't as I will buy something which is ADS-B capable.

I would suggest the best possible fitment would be ADS-B out via a transponder and then PAW to receive. You'll get the added benefit then of receiving accurate positional information for all of the PAW users who haven't got ADS-B. (like me!)
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I only need ADS-B in, my skills to jig anything up are similar to PeteS' and I want something neat that I can take from one aeroplane to the next without having to spend time rigging it.
The latter would rule PAW out.
You can't envision a system using PAw which requires no rigging? You exclude PAw and limit yourself to ADS-B in (which PAw does and more)?
I have no problem with you making your own choices, but I daaaaym (FPoBE) I can't square that circle. However, your choice is your own. Happy landings!
T67M liked this