Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Birdyboy1
Great place to visit, friendly people and grass well cut. PPR'd, landed on 33 after an overhead join using safety com. Used the Landing voucher in Flyer.

Enroute received a Basic service from Oxford, Brize and Gloucestershire. Sky was quite busy coming back. Just after handoff from Staverton a large bus jet came 300ft under us almost same course but then turned north. I mentioned this to Brize and they said they couldn't see anything within 8 miles of us, to which I replied " oh we must have imagined it then"!

Took a left at the road and wandered into town (about 35 minutes). There is a resturant not far from the feild that supposed to be good but we found a cafe for some lunch in the town. Had a mooch about town, flea market (didnt purchase any of the precious things), castles , the river USK and some gardens.

Intended to get a taxi back but they were all being used for school run contracts; the bus was going to be too late so ended up walking back too. Still just about had enough time to get back to base near Luton before dark. Note to self, next time take the bikes or sort a taxi earlier.

ImageRoute1 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02364 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02362 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02361 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02356 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02351 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02346 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02343 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02339 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02334 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02327 by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02354 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02355 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02370 (2) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Wye Valley

ImageDSC02315 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr

ImageDSC02382 (1) by Graeme Bird, on Flickr
Last edited by Birdyboy1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If anyone is planning to visit Abergavenny might I suggest the following add on:

Fly north from Abergavenny airstrip to the east of the town over the Skirrid, followed by a short detour west around the Sugarloaf, and then on up the east side of the Black Mountains to Hay Bluff, looking out for the ruins of Llantony Priory on the way tucked under the west side of the ridge line. Then turn west along the north edge to the corner at Talgarth, keeping a very careful eye out for gliders from the club there that are many and often frequent the ridge line.

Head south to the table mountain at Crickhowell, and then head generally west over the valley to the northern edge of the main Brecon Beacons and Pen y Fan. Then go south along Pontsticill reservoir keeping an eye out for the steam train of the Brecon Mountain Railway that runs up the east side of the reservoir. If you carry on south you will come to Sultan the Pit Pony which is a really interesting landmark. A bit further south gets you to Caerphilly with its spectacular castle. Then head east towards Cwmbran and Llandegfedd reservoir, and then back up the east side of the ridges that take you back to the Blorenge, keeping an eye out for paragliders if the wind is a light northerly, and finally back down into Frank's strip.

Probably about an hour in your average spam can, and a trip around some of the most interesting and varied scenery in this part of the world.

I'll leave interested parties to do the googling and detailed planning.
kanga, PeteSpencer, Dave W and 2 others liked this
By SimonM
My Grandparents, Great Uncles and Aunts lived in Abergavenny, Coed Eva, Llanfrechfa and Cwmbran so I spent many weeks of the summer holidays staying in the area throughout my childhood. I visited regularly in the years following until one by one they passed away. I haven't been back for probably 15 years now but reading the above has rekindled the need to revisit some old haunts.
Flying the route that PtP has described above sounds like a bucket list flight for me :thumleft:

Ahh the memories..... Sitting on sugar loaf mountain having a picnic........ and fishing with nets in a canal but I can't for the life of me think where that was.
It was most likely one of the above locations and I just remember a row of terraced houses, the canal and a park nearby with a witches hat type roundabout. (I was only 4 at the time so memory is sketchy).
Paultheparaglider liked this