Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By buzzthetower
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I noticed this too, seems like a very steep decent rate from the 152 from 3800 down to around 1000 feet in around 2 minutes, if that data is accurate. Wondering what they could have been doing? Too steep for a pfl and too much height lost for stalls etc.

gaznav wrote:I’ve just had a look on FR24 and it appears to be a collision in the vertical. The helo can be seen at roughly 1,000ft and the light aircraft climbs up to 3800ft and then descends quickly down to 2600ft before it stops being tracked. However, this is TMLAT data and not from ADS-B in the light aircraft, but I believe that the height information is accurate from the Mode C. Both traces show each to be in the same vicinity at the same time as the reported ”?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Spooky wrote:Helicopter pilot and the chaps in the Cessna named

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4941941/a ... don-manor/

Mike was my instructor for my PPL H when he ran Fast Helicopters at Thruxton. He was massively experienced and an amazing guy. That's just awful, awful news.

RIP Mike, honoured to have known and flown with you .

Ian
By Dave W
I met Mike Green and flew with him for work a long while ago. I said this to somebody earlier:

Mike was a lovely guy, very professional and helpful but more importantly one of those personalities that just stays with you.

My logbook says I flew with him in February 1996; that I remember him fondly and now with sadness all these years later after such a brief acquaintance tells much about the man, I reckon.
ianfallon liked this
By NorthSouth
buzzthetower wrote:Too steep for a pfl and too much height lost for stalls etc.

If it was a training flight, then steep descending turns would do it, as would a Vne dive simulating response to an engine fire. But all speculation of course.
NS
By GAFlyer4Fun
Tragically the WCO area is a natural honey pot. Just look at all the airfields, glider sites, skydiving sites etc broadly lined up on the CAA chart between the Severn Bridge and Luton. Anyone trying to go North/South across that band does not have a lot of options for routes to give that lot a wide berth given most of GA seems to be below 2500 ft.
ianfallon liked this
By chevvron
gaznav wrote:FMJ

I agree and sadly no RADAR. However, being on the same radio frequency if there is no RADAR is better than nothing IMHO.

PAW for me is also better than nothing. My personal plan is to go down the ADS-B route as at least the PAW user will see me. However, I also want to use electronic conspicuity that meets a recognised international standard and that for me is ADS-B.

Best

Gaz

I haven't plotted the position of the accident on a chart but when I was still at Farnborough, some pilots used to work 132.8 in this area whilst we could see an equal number on radar who didn't.
Farnborough North is available in this area even though you'd be on the edge of the 'official' area of responsibility, the radar coverage goes out much further and the workload isn't great enough for the controller to refuse any service even if it's only a listening watch so if you call, you might get a basic service with (hopefully) generic traffic information.
By chevvron
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
Does / did RAF Halton have radar? If not, then the utility of being on the same frequency can be reduced. In fact, it can increase the need for fresh trousers at times....

I've flown at Halton for various periods since 1964 and as far as I'm aware, Halton has never had radar and has only had temporary ATC units for air displays . At other times, OC Airfield was usually GD aircrew and as such was authorised as Senior Ops Officer .to carry out the function of communications and was also authorised to approve other suitably qualified persons (including me) to provide A/G or whatever level of service he required.(Me having an RAFVR(T) commission helped along with my ATCO qualifications!)
But that was only local 'control' for the ATZ and wouldn't have helped here.
By Dave Phillips
A few more words about Mike Green. I've only known Mike for about 10 years but throughout he provided support, knowledge, guidance and friendship. He started his flying career in the Army Air Corps in the 1970s predominately flying Sioux, Scouts and Gazelles. A natural instructor, he spent much of his time teaching newbies how 'not to die'. Unlike many aviators, he never told you how good he was - he was so good that you made that realisation yourself. In recent years, his forte was teaching fledgling helicopter instructors (not an enviable task!) and being a senior examiner for the CAA. Future instructors would clamour to be taught by Mike, his reach speeding across Europe and beyond. He always had a welcoming smile but, on the rare occasion he chose to moan, you listened.

Mike, Ruth (co-director Helicopter Services) and I would often yarn over a glass of red wine and he was the most easy-going, affable and charming man. I will sorely miss him and his early departure leaves a huge hole, both personally and within the company.
Flyin'Dutch', neilmurg, ianfallon and 9 others liked this
By Irv Lee
So sad to lose all four, but I know Mike was a great guy, he was my cfi at Thruxton for a couple of years in the 90s, he kept a c150 so that anyone really struck by the flying bug in a trial heli lesson "birthday" present who really couldn't afford helis was offered it (and me).
Dave W liked this
By neilmurg
rats404 wrote:a mid-air remains my greatest fear.
but not, statistically, your greatest risk. Yes, very sad.
We're privileged to fly and it carries some risk, which is ruthlessly analysed, but lets not forget that there is plenty of risk in everyday life that is routinely ignored.
By Longfinal
NorthSouth wrote:
buzzthetower wrote:Too steep for a pfl and too much height lost for stalls etc.
But all speculation of course.
NS

Please don’t speculate.