Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
UK to Cherbourg: No GAR required, no notice.

Cherbourg to Jersey: No notice. Not sure if Jersey will ask for completion of their local GAR on arrival. (Someone will know, but in practice it doesn't need to affect planning)

Jersey to UK: GAR required, 12 hours notice prior to arrival. Arrival airfield must be "Designated" or have a suitable Certificate of Agreement.

If instead of returning direct from Jersey you again routed via Cherbourg then no notice Jersey to Cherbourg then 4 hours notice of arrival for Cherbourg to UK, and land anywhere.
neilmurg liked this
AlanM wrote:We can only do emergency talk downs, we have no published SRA in Jersey.

What's the difference? - I get that an "emergency talk down" isn't a published approach, but is it also a lower quality service by a controller who isn't licenced and/or current for an SRA? (Don't misunderstand, I'd accept an "emergency talk down" like a shot if it was my only chance of getting on the ground in one piece.)

Slightly differently, I have wondered what happens if I rock up somewhere in IMC for which (for whatever reason) I haven't done any planning and don't have the plates - I assume the controller will be able to talk me through an approach, giving me the frequencies, heights, distances etc?
Gertie wrote:
AlanM wrote:We can only do emergency talk downs, we have no published SRA in Jersey.

What's the difference? - I get that an "emergency talk down" isn't a published approach, but is it also a lower quality service by a controller who isn't licenced and/or current for an SRA? (Don't misunderstand, I'd accept an "emergency talk down" like a shot if it was my only chance of getting on the ground in one piece.).

Slightly differently, I have wondered what happens if I rock up somewhere in IMC for which (for whatever reason) I haven't done any planning and don't have the plates - I assume the controller will be able to talk me through an approach, giving me the frequencies, heights, distances etc?

We practice emerency SRAs in our simulator (and these are logged/assessed). Whilst not ideal, we would of course only use if an aircraft was IFR and lost all forms of flying an instrument approach (ILS/VOR/NDB/GNSS are all available). All controllers learn how to do SRAs as part of their training at ATC college - so even though we have removed them as a published procedure, they are relatively simple to do.

If you have to make an approach and you are without a plate I can get that plate up on an ipad type of screen that we can open preloaded pdfs on shortcuts. (Some rather nice Bang & Olufson touch controlled monitors that allow pinch zoom etc!)
Gertie liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
brentford77 wrote:I think where airfields have immigration based on site they are generally more tolerant of shorter notice Gendecs

On site Special Branch innit? Or has that been replaced by something else? Part of Border Force now?

matspart3 wrote:Gloucester will be at some point when we fix the radar.

Do you have your PilotAware tower aid working?

Just asking... :whistle:
kanga liked this
AlanM wrote:Jersey has had a few groups - not least from Mr A Evans and co who came for a few days.... had some lovely cheap fuel and did lots of RNAV/NDB/VOR/ILS and the ability to do a practice diversion to EGJB/EGJA without leaving CAS! (Or pop to Dinard and back for a Xcountry practice in the French FIR)

They also came up to the tower and covered that aspect too......

I’ve only just seen this thread. I can vouch for Jersey. I think we were a group of five aircraft and about a dozen pilots on an IFR currency trip. Jersey ATC were just brilliant at accommodating our varied requirements and Alan and his colleagues gave us a really useful ATC visit - including how they coped with the change from Class A to Class D. The Aeroclub looked after us just great - no long grass, so far as I remember. :-)

Alan.
AlanM liked this